What Did You Buy Today?

Well... he came out with a video offering 25% discount. Pulled the trigger on the vise from Andrew. Went with the 14" vise since I do not even have a workbench at this time. Figured I would make one as another project... Well, I did have one, the one my friend left me when he passed, but I gave that one to my niece. It was one of those from HF - workbench.

View attachment 487023

14" Twin Turbo vise, Cork rubber: Two pieces of 10" x 30" cork rubber, Bench Dogs: 4 Bench Dog Posts, Magnets, and Jatoba Tops, Wood Jaw: 2 piece Hard Maple Jaw Kit Included (Backorder, ships in summer 2024), Handle: Fast Action Handle, Support: Bearing Support (for low friction) presale

Got tired of waiting for all those companies selling used pallet jack racks... they never followed up with a quote... So went to Lowe's and got three of these for now. Not as tall as I wanted, but whatever. These are 24"x84"x84"

View attachment 487017
View attachment 487018

And then, picked up the last few tools my friend left me when he passed away...

View attachment 487019
View attachment 487020
View attachment 487021
As you can see, already put to use the table saw... cutting a few left over 3/4" plywood I had. Made some shelf inserts for one of the racks that I also got from my friend...
View attachment 487022
Wife has claimed this one for extra storage for water, paper products, and other household items.

Also, gave in... got one of those PODS container to get the remaining stuff in the garage loaded up and brought over to Ocala from Orlando. Container arrives tomorrow and have friends coming over Saturday to help me load everything.
height is what you want on the racking. You have so much of it.
I suspect that vise is more glitz than value. I didn't watch the video.. Does the vise allow you to rack it intentionally? Lee Valley sells a chain vise that does.. But I made a dovetailing vise that is nothing more than 2 pipe vises on a riser to save my back when dovetailing.. I use that a bunch.
But most of the time it's on the side of the workbench. I do a lot of hand work, and I value my bench at palm height, so the riser is good for bringing the work up a bit.

I don't know, I get dirt at much less. depending on the size of the load. Even HD gets less. A 40lb bag is about 2.99 - 3.99
Well, that explains why I haven't been getting any calls on my craigslist ad... If HD can bag it and transport it at that price, maybe I should resent paying $12 S&H to UPS for a bag of set screws and six plastic pillows filled with air. Of course, the hole in the box that the bag of set screws falls out of in transport is still free, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth.

height is what you want on the racking. You have so much of it.
I suspect that vise is more glitz than value. I didn't watch the video.. Does the vise allow you to rack it intentionally? Lee Valley sells a chain vise that does.. But I made a dovetailing vise that is nothing more than 2 pipe vises on a riser to save my back when dovetailing.. I use that a bunch.
But most of the time it's on the side of the workbench. I do a lot of hand work, and I value my bench at palm height, so the riser is good for bringing the work up a bit.
I know, that is why I wanted pallet racks. I could make the bottom free for the tools/machines/carts while still using the top for storage. Many forum members recommended those. I was looking for a few 24" (or 36") W x 120" T x 144" L (or 120"). That is why I only got just three of the ones from Lowe's for now. I need to look elsewhere, for the pallet racks, to buying them.

The vise, I just like the looks of the mechanical parts in it... I seldom do any woodworking, but who knows in the future... I would like to buy (or make) a small woodworking bench to mount it to.

All the videos seem to be long... sorry. Was trying to find one that was short so you could watch.

Install video

Last edited:
I finally got tired of driving to ACE for nuts, and bolts, I have some miscellaneous stuff here, but inevitably a trip to ACE was going to happen. Ebay has bolt assortment selections, so I got grade 8s fine, and course 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2,,,1/2" length to 3", and HD had the Stanley bins.

This followed me home the other da y, New and never used, Came with computer and stand w/hypertherm 85 cutter.
Software (MyMiniCad). It's a CuttingEdge Plasma 5.0 system built in MN
Anyone here familiar with this unit?

Attachments

• plasma cutter.jpg
    plasma cutter.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 23
  • iPlasma 5.0.jpg
    iPlasma 5.0.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 22
I'm not, but it came with a great cutter and it appears to have Z-height control and a water table. It looks similar in build to Langmuir's. You should be good to go!

That’s good news: hopefully mine will be here shortly, too.
Actually, not good news: I gave KBC a call and found out that after "some guy" posted about them KBC got 100+ orders; they didn't have many in stock, but recently got an order of 15 in, so that must be where Mike's came from. The next shipment of 150 is due in July, so hopefully mine will be in that.

This followed me home the other da y, New and never used, Came with computer and stand w/hypertherm 85 cutter.
Software (MyMiniCad). It's a CuttingEdge Plasma 5.0 system built in MN
Anyone here familiar with this unit?
I'm not either, but it looks great and you will be happy with the Hypertherm. For the work you do on the Cadet tractors, I am certain you will make great use of it- I've been secretly wondering why it didn't happen sooner! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I think it will peel the roof off of the possibilities.

I'm not either, but it looks great and you will be happy with the Hypertherm. For the work you do on the Cadet tractors, I am certain you will make great use of it- I've been secretly wondering why it didn't happen sooner! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I think it will peel the roof off of the possibilities.
Never heard of them, either. Had to do a little digging. One thing: "MyMiniCAD and does not have the ability to import files created in other programs." However, it claims the MyPlasmCNC CAN import .dxf files...

@finsruskw You'll let have to let us know what you think. Looks like it has some nice options, so might be worth considering.

Back