What Did You Buy Today?

I am not easily convinced to be fair, so if it it suits I will keep it, otherwise, it gets yeeted into my friends toolbox
Does it work better than a ruler? You know, a small steel scale captured between the workpiece and the cutting tip. If it's vertical, the tip is on center. Tipped away, too high, tipped towards you, too low. I love tools, but is it any better than a simple 150mm scale?

Does it work better than a ruler? You know, a small steel scale captured between the workpiece and the cutting tip. If it's vertical, the tip is on center. Tipped away, too high, tipped towards you, too low. I love tools, but is it any better than a simple 150mm scale?
That is how I was taught to set the tool height but to tip your ruler back - towards you a degree or 2- so your tool was a hair low.
I guess I'll continue doing it with a ruler. At least for now anyway.

a box full of used dial indicators for basically no money. :)

I am in search of Starrett & Federal technical manuals so that I can look up assembly/disassembly procedures, lubrication info, etc

I would prefer not to rely upon shade tree mechanic youtube video advice where people say things like "use lighter fluid" and "bend the stem in your vise"
What needs doing to them?

I am in search of Starrett & Federal technical manuals so that I can look up assembly/disassembly procedures, lubrication info, etc

I would prefer not to rely upon shade tree mechanic youtube video advice where people say things like "use lighter fluid" and "bend the stem in your vise"
Bending the stem in a vise does sound sketchy. OTOH, lighter fluid is an outstanding solvent for cleaning precision devices. It’s an effective degreaser and leaves no residue once the item is clean. I believe it’s a naphtha based blend.

Actually, lighter fluid (naphtha) is an okay cleaner.

I use a light synthetic clock oil. And when I service an indicator, I do so on my watchmaker’s bench. After working on watches and clocks, dial indicators ain’t no big thang.

Tools of choice start with tweezers that cost more than used good-quality dial indicators. :) And loupes and microscopes.

Rick “only marginally skilled with watch movements, however” Denney

Back