1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

What Did You Buy Today?

Discussion in 'TOOL JUNKIES - TOOLS & TOOLING (Love Tools? This Is Your Forum)' started by darkzero, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Hukshawn

Hukshawn Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

What are you using a radius gauge for? Another one of those items I can't think of a purpose for.

2. darkzero

darkzero Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Radius gauges are very useful. It's one of those things that I personally don't use that often but when I need to I'm glad I have them. They're for, well measuring radii of course. Not a real necessity unless you are making parts where you need to make the radii exact or copying a part & you need to know a radius size. Other ways around it, you could just use a piece of round but the guages are nice & easy to handle.

I didn't get me a set until I got me a set of corner rounding end mills & some radius turning tools. But even though a set of radius gauges aren't needed just having these cutters IMO.

A set like Randy's is pretty expensive. I have a full set by Mitutoyo. I waited patiently to find a nice set on ebay.

RandyM likes this.
  3. Dan_S

Dan_S Active User Active Member

City:
    Champaign
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

They are really useful though when you need to figure out what a radius is. Thankfully they are stainless, so unless you really abuse them, they will outlast your grand children.

RandyM likes this.
  4. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Got me a set of ER-40 collet blocks with bearing nuts. I do have a super spacer but sometime I don't feel like setting it up just for something quick. I use ER-40 collets in the mill & for work holding in the lathe. I don't own any 5C collets so these made more sense for me to get. I was shocked, they arrived in 1 business day all the way from Europe!

[​IMG]

5. hman

hman Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tempe
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

I can't count the number of times I've had to make an "educated guesstimate" about the internal or external radius of something I was trying to work with, and/or do an accurate job of 3D CAD modeling. Sometimes it isn't critical. Other times it is - such as when something else has to either clear the original part or to fit it closely. Radius gauges would definitely have helped numerous times. I do plan to get a set soon.

6. mikey

mikey Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

Radius gages are also useful for marking out rounded corners on wood or metal projects; draw the corner and grind to shape. I have a Mitutoyo set and have yet to use them for their intended purpose - cut a corner radius to specs, mostly because I only work for myself.

RandyM likes this.
  7. Nogoingback

Nogoingback Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Not a tool, but I found a 1959 edition of the Boston Gear catalog in a used book store for 5 bucks.

British Steel likes this.
  8. FOMOGO

FOMOGO United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Steamboat Springs
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Picked up a Nice D1-6 12" 4-jaw chuck on Denver Craigs list for $60. Chinese, but appears to be almost new. The owner got it thrown in with a smaller lathe purchase. Will be a nice addition to the 3-jaw, and 5c collet chucks that came with my 14" Trens lathe. My son is going to pick it up and store it for me until I get back in April. The Craigs list pic is already gone, but pretty much identical to this one on E-bay. Mike

[​IMG]

darkzero and BGHansen like this.
  9. wawoodman

wawoodman himself, himself H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I really like those holders. But I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have a number of TG-100 collets. (A member of one of the forums, whose name I am ashamed I don't recall, made me an adapter to fit on my SB Lathe.) And I have R8 collets to fit in the mill. Do I really want to get involved with 5C (or ER-40) collets, as well? I've only seen the blocks for 5C and ER-40s. And I know I'm not good enough to make them, myself.

10. BFHammer

BFHammer United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Chattanooga
    State:
    Tennessee

-Return to Top-

Very snazzy. I saw these the other night and thought - cool I wonder what all you could do with those? Later that night I was watching a youtube video (ThisOldTony) of making a drawbar from round stock and using a hex block collet in the mill to make the head of the bolt!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
    darkzero likes this.
  11. Nogoingback

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

[​IMG]

2 Ton Famco arbor press that I found on CL. Because he's a really nice guy, the seller threw in a 3 ft. length of 4130 rectangular bar and a box of about 4 dozen HSS and brazed carbide tools that
    I can use once I get the Logan up and working.

Pulled the "head" apart and cleaned and lubed up everything. Rack condition is perfect.
    A wire wheel cleaned off the table surface. Good as new.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    LucknowKen, BGHansen, FOMOGO and 3 others like this.
  12. Hukshawn

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

What did that arbor press set you back? I wouldnt mind finding one.

13. Nogoingback

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

100 bucks. I've been watching CL for a couple of months and this was the best one for the money I could find.

Hukshawn likes this.
  14. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Finally completed my set, got me the 91C today.

[​IMG]

pstemari, sanddan, royesses and 8 others like this.
  15. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Got/made me a new tool post wrench today. Got a couple of Kent Moore brake wrenches on ebay. They're about 20" long. I shortened the worst looking one which looked much worse than the other one pictured. Stripped it down to bare metal & blackened it with a new solution I just got. I must say I'm pretty happy with it. This stuff gave me the best results I've tried so far with other blackening solutions.

I got tired of using my Armstrong Engineer's wrench. I did not want to make a handle that replaces the nut like some do. This "new" wrench is so much better to use, matches the angle of the TP handle perfectly. I'm glad I came across these wrenches just randomly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. FOMOGO

FOMOGO United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Steamboat Springs
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Like the swarf garnish in your pics. :) Mike

[​IMG]

darkzero likes this.
  17. ACHiPo

ACHiPo United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Pleasanton
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Those are beautiful (well, at least very nice looking ;-) ) Did you get them new or used?

darkzero likes this.
  18. ACHiPo

City:
    Pleasanton
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Nice.

darkzero likes this.
  19. Nogoingback

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

That wrench looks great. Do you mind telling us what solution you used to blacken it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
    darkzero likes this.
  20. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I got them new 1 at a time waiting patiently for sales.

I used Caswell's "Black Oxide" solution with penetrating sealer. The sealer makes a big difference!

21. Nogoingback

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Thanks Will, I'll keep that info for when I need some.

ACHiPo and darkzero like this.
  22. francist

francist Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

It appears I felt that I needed this indicator only slightly more than I needed another hole in the head, because it came in the mail today. According to the sticker it was made in 2002, but it's still in really super shape. The box is pretty mint, too.

I know lots of folks don't care too much for Federals, but for some reason I have a bit of a soft spot for them. Anyway, too late now! Thanks for looking.

-frank

image.jpeg

23. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I had three Federals I used through my working life. I also had Last Words and a really high end Mitotoyu, but the Federals were the work horses.

FOMOGO and francist like this.
  24. BFHammer

BFHammer United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Chattanooga
    State:
    Tennessee

-Return to Top-

I've learned a lot hanging out here. I've also had a feeling that hanging out here was going to cost me some money - and today it did! :laughing:

Placed my order today for a PM-932M-PDF mill and a PM-1236 lathe.

They tell me that timeline on the mill is 6-8 weeks and I'm going to have the lathe shipped at the same time because it saves a chunk on shipping. It also gives me time to finish getting tooled up and rearrange the shop.

IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301.JPG

25. ACHiPo

City:
    Pleasanton
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Nice!

darkzero likes this.
  26. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Does a trade count as a buy? I found a craigslist sale on three phase 2HP motors. One a GE with 1140 rpms , just what I need for the federal planer. The cost a trade for a Honda generator I saved from the scrap pile , I put used cam and lifters in the head , the old one was worn out . As soon as it started the deal was made. The motor is the real heavy cast iron model new in the box. Wow for some reason the last couple weeks things have been going great . Now if the doctors can fix my spine pain ill be working on the shop and the new used machines there waiting.

FOMOGO and darkzero like this.
  27. MrDan

MrDan United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Phoenix
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Well, I used to wonder at some of the, ahem, amazing finds I sometimes hear about (10EE Monarch for $20, that sort of thing). Some of them are a little hard to believe. Today I became a believer.

I was looking for something completely unrelated on CL and just happened to find a posting for a Baldor grinder. I have never owned one, but have seen pictures.... Anyway, the picture of the machine was taken with nothing else in the frame to compare it with, to get a sense of scale. There was a pretty blurry close-up of the nameplate. The model number meant nothing to me. I noticed that it was 3-phase, which I don't have. The nameplate was kind of beat up, but I could see it would run on 208-230. The HP was a 3 and then the rest was pretty scratched up. Hmm... 3-something..... Has to be 3/4 HP, right? What else would start with a 3? The light went on in my head - I have a VFD at home that's good to 1 HP, and it will run with 120V input! Perfect! And he only wanted a hundred bucks! I'm all over this one. Called and set up a time to come and see it.

When I got there it was a machine shop! The owner was a great guy, very pleasant. He explained that they did mostly job-shop work for the aerospace industry. They had plans to start doing big fab jobs and had bought the Baldor for that. When the economy crashed in '09 those plans went out the window. It sat around for years and they never even turned it on other than to make sure it worked when they first got it. He had decided it was time to clean house.

When we went out to the yard in back it was immediately obvious to me that I had misread the photos. There wasn't anything after the 3, just scratches. It was a 3HP grinder, model 1216W, not 3/4HP.

I looked at the grinder, then looked at my little company car, a Chevy Captiva. How in the heck am I going to get this home? No problem, the guy grabbed some tools and disassembled it, and between the 3 of us managed to get it stuffed in.

One problem - I'm gonna need a bigger VFD....

Baldor1.jpg

Baldor2.jpg

FOMOGO, hman, Nogoingback and 8 others like this.
  28. Hukshawn

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

That thing is going to rattle your house when it starts up!

MrDan likes this.
  29. MrDan

MrDan United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Phoenix
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Yeah, it's way bigger than I really need, but c'mon, a hundred bucks! :)

ACHiPo and darkzero like this.
  30. wawoodman

wawoodman himself, himself H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Well, I think that deserves a big

:you suck:

Great score!