What did I miss?

I didn't see that, but I think it's the motor RPM not the spindle RPM that will show. I have a proximity sensor on the spindle that picks up a magnet with the aftermarket tach. Regardless I run the motor mainly at 60 Hz or close to that to get as much of the HP of the motor and still use the pulleys and back gears of my machinery, so I'm basically using the VFD as a phase converter, as the original machine on /off/ forward/reverse switch is wired into the VFD. I noticed on my Bridgeport that the cutter will slow when taking a heavy cut if I drop the Hz down so I try to avoid heating up the motor. I had a Bridgeport motor fry on me a while back when I was first using a static phase converter and got lucky and found a used motor on Craigslist for $50. Otherwise it would have cost me $700 to have the old motor wound.

I didn't see that, but I think it's the motor RPM not the spindle RPM that will show. I have a proximity sensor on the spindle that picks up a magnet with the aftermarket tach. Regardless I run the motor mainly at 60 Hz or close to that to get as much of the HP of the motor and still use the pulleys and back gears of my machinery, so I'm basically using the VFD as a phase converter, as the original machine on /off/ forward/reverse switch is wired into the VFD. I noticed on my Bridgeport that the cutter will slow when taking a heavy cut if I drop the Hz down so I try to avoid heating up the motor. I had a Bridgeport motor fry on me a while back when I was first using a static phase converter and got lucky and found a used motor on Craigslist for $50. Otherwise it would have cost me $700 to have the old motor wound.

How did you attach the magnet to the spindle?

I still have not had a chance to get out there and program the darn thing. The last time I started it up it was running backwards. I think someone suggested switching a couple of the motor wires to correct it.

The magnet's strong enough that it just sits there. I added a drop of super glue to the bottom just in case. You can either change any 1 wire to get it running right or just hit the R/F button and when the display blinks hit the M button and it will reverse.

The magnet's strong enough that it just sits there. I added a drop of super glue to the bottom just in case. You can either change any 1 wire to get it running right or just hit the R/F button and when the display blinks hit the M button and it will reverse.

I have bought magnets for other projects at CMS Magnets . They have very strong N52 Neodymium magnet disks and bars with holes. I wonder if you could tap/drill a hole without affecting the spindle and mount the magnet with a small screw?

Thanks for the F/R tip !

Last edited:
Back