What did I miss?

AxeMaker

Registered
Registered
Hey folks,

Been away for a while unfortunately. I had a lot of house stuff going on and my usual back issues bogging me down. Hope everyone is well and the machines are turning.

Last time I was on here I was getting ready to set up the Lenze VFD on my Series I. Well needless to say that still needs to be completed. But, I did compile and print out all of the information such as the relevant posts on this site and my notated manual. I put it all in a 1/2" 3-ring binder making it all very pretty. At least it will be until I put greasy fingers on the page corners.

I have been picking up a few end mills here and there for my personal gunsmithing adventures on the mill. Any home gunsmiths around? Speaking of that, I am a Pacific Tool & Gauge customer and there is a document on their web site which I found interesting. The file name is 'Feeds and Speeds" but it talks about 'Reamer/ Cutting Fluid Recommendations' and I have attached it here. As per the recommendation I bought some ATF transmission fluid and some Chevron cutting oil. Hopefully I will have the VFD setup soon and get to use the fluid.

Take care,

Attachments

• feeds-speeds.pdf
    299.7 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the pdf, I've done a bit of gunsmithing over the past forty years. Spent years hunting and shooting competition trap. Most of the work was on trap and skeet shotguns. Installing reducers fitting stocks , glassing cracked forends . Adjustable stocks , cheek pieces, polishing forcing cones. Anything the professional shooter needs. All done while having my own shooting career going on to being on the All American Team , till my back pains sidelined me I'm waiting now for surgery which should have been done ten years ago. Bulging discs produce unbearable agony.
Good luck with your vfd let us know if YA Need help. And welcome back

If you happen to need some help in programming that VFD there is a Tech at Lenze that is terrific. Her name is Quinn and the phone is 1-800-217-9100 extension 5510. She helped me wire the original machine switching into the VFD and pul a 12v lead from off it to power up a tach. I had an idea after reading up the manual but it took all of 5 minutes with her on the phone to get it done.

If you happen to need some help in programming that VFD there is a Tech at Lenze that is terrific. Her name is Quinn and the phone is 1-800-217-9100 extension 5510. She helped me wire the original machine switching into the VFD and pul a 12v lead from off it to power up a tach. I had an idea after reading up the manual but it took all of 5 minutes with her on the phone to get it done.

Thank you ! I will note that in the manual and forum posts I printed out.

I was actually going to use the low voltage to trip a relay which in turn allows a AC cooling fan to run when the mill starts. This is to keep the motor cool when it is running too slow to cool from the impellers on top of it.

Which tac are you using ? I guess I should think about that especially if the motor and speed adjustment on the front of the mill are not sync'd up.

Thanks for the pdf, I've done a bit of gunsmithing over the past forty years. Spent years hunting and shooting competition trap. Most of the work was on trap and skeet shotguns. Installing reducers fitting stocks , glassing cracked forends . Adjustable stocks , cheek pieces, polishing forcing cones. Anything the professional shooter needs. All done while having my own shooting career going on to being on the All American Team , till my back pains sidelined me I'm waiting now for surgery which should have been done ten years ago. Bulging discs produce unbearable agony.
Good luck with your vfd let us know if YA Need help. And welcome back

I will be doing pistol and rifle work, I do not own any revolvers or skeet/trap guns. A couple years ago I got my M16/M4/AR15 Armorer's Certification. I have three AR's sitting on my bench in parts boxes that need to be put together, one of them is a 7.62. Now if I could afford a lathe so I could do my own barrel work too. I also have a .300 Win Mag that I had custom built at Bartlein Barrels which has a 28" barrel. It was built after my neck surgery in early 2009 thinking I would be back in the saddle shooting extreme long range competitions. But then I had my knee replacement in late 2009. In 2010 I had my first back surgery, 2011 my 2nd back surgery and 2012 my 3rd back surgery.

So anyway after all of the surgeries I won't be doing the extreme long range comp's and I want to cut the barrel down to 24" and have it re-threaded for a suppressor. That way it will be a bit lighter than it is now.

The tach I'm using is one of those $8 Ebay digital tachs. They work fine as long as you figure out the wiring, or learn to read the Chinese instructions, which is easier. Terminal #11 is the low voltage pin and you need to use #2 which is the common terminal and you get 12 volts.

Reactions: Guv
The tach I'm using is one of those $8 Ebay digital tachs. They work fine as long as you figure out the wiring, or learn to read the Chinese instructions, which is easier. Terminal #11 is the low voltage pin and you need to use #2 which is the common terminal and you get 12 volts.

Can you post the link to it?

Oh you know I just remembered... The Lenze VFD will display RPM if I my recollection is correct.

Back