What brings us all here to the Hobby Machine website ?

I'm an Industrial Maintenance Mechanic for the past 30 years who also works on motorcycles and autos at my home shop. I ran a performance shop at my last home shop for 20 years. When I opened my business in 1997 I also bought a small mill/lathe combo machine to use for my race cars/bikes and custom projects and keep more of the work in house. Fabrication and machining has always intrigued me and I wanted to learn more of it and have the ability to machine in my home shop.

I came to hobby-machinist.com in spring of 2014 because I was looking to upgrade my smaller lathe/mill combo to a better quality lathe and knee mill. This site was the only machining site I found that not only allowed the discussion of import machines but also had specific sub-categories for supporting those machines with great people for bouncing ideas and questions off of. I've been here off and on ever since.

Mike

Hello Guys, I have been hanging around here since 2010, I began my working life as a junior coalminer for the first two years , Then I managed to get an apprenticeship in a foundry as a moulder I loved it, In a way the guys I worked with had in a strange manner the friendly helpful , sympathetic nature, Same as many of the folk on this forum, Down to earth souls , If I could go back in life, I would even if just to carry the box of tools they used through the factory door, As I greatly admired the skills these old boys had Nowadays, by and large, I can not be bothered one bit , with "todays values", Such as I want and could not care one bit for the planet, "Im alright Jack , I am on the Boat!"Seems to be the norm frequently.
However my rant over , There are still a great number of good folk around , I tend to lurk in my workshop, Man Cave? I have always along with my father made things since I was about nine years of age, Like another members posting when it came to working a lathe I instinctively knew how to operate it I really like the down to earth approach on this site, No frills basic helpfullness and sympathy and advice to the members where needed
In past days I recieved much good technical knowledge from my old technical school teachers , And one day a week I join forces with my model engineering buddies, So far lifes not too bad.

I'm a dabbler and I like to know how things work. I'm also a history geek, all kinds of history not too fussy, but particularly like to see how and why things evolved to where they are now. I watched a documentary a couple years ago about Chinese food in America and honestly found it fascinating. Machines fit into both of these interests.

Luckily they still had shop classes when I was in school so I got some exposure to woodworking, metal working and auto mechanics. My dad also did handyman jobs on the side when I was a kid, often bringing me along to "help".

It kind of came up in the thread about radial arm saws and shopmate all in one tools thread, but growing up I thought everybody knew how to wire a light switch or change the oil in their car. It wasn't a hobby just a part of owning a house or automobile. Many of the adults I was around just did these things. My dad worked on our house, he worked on other peoples houses. My uncle (my dad's brother} had a 1967 Chevelle that he was always playing with. I helped my Grandfather install a home built solar pool heater years before solar was a thing people did. My grandfather also owned a machineshop, so I got a little exposure to that, but very little. That was work and he left it at work.

So tinkering was well established by the time I graduated high school. I had no idea what I wanted to do. I liked camping but that isn't a job right?

I was "smart" everybody said so, so was expected to do something "smart" as a career, so I started a Mechanical Engineering degree at community college. The drafting was neat, but I was frustrated. How can you design a better mousetrap if you don't use mousetraps.

Looking for jobs I saw some fire departments hiring and that sounded interesting. I found out the college had a fire science program so changed majors and found a local volunteer fire department to get on with. Got a job as a lifeguard for a summer then worked on an ambulance. Then I went to Paramedic school all this with the goal of working for a city fire department. Then out of the blue someone gave me this job announcement for the US Forest Service as a temporary firefighter and I got the job. I didn't know much about the organization but you got to work in the forest, and that is almost like getting paid to camp. I worked as a temp firefighter a couple of summers and then got a job as a firefighter at Fort Ord when the military started closing bases in the 1990s. That was also a limited term job so when I got an offer for a full time job with the Forest Service I took it. Ended up sticking with that for 22 years retiring as an Engine captain last November.

Oh yeah, machines... so one of my hobbies is building models. I tend to go a little nuts with everything I do, not good enough to just glue a kit together, no I have to make it different. I started making fire engines. Not a lot of kits available so I started scratch building bits from plastic, aluminum, brass, craft store knick knacks etc. That led to resin casting, soldering and then I saw the really cool kids had these neat mini-lathes and mills.

I'm sure everybody knows how that goes, which machine do you buy? How do you get it when your budget is 1/2 (or less) of reality. It isn't easy to get info from other modelers online because everybody wants a lathe, but most will never spend the money (car modelers in particular are cheapskates) so the guys who have them burn out talking about them. I quickly figured out that the super cheap machine tools you can find on Amazon and Ebay (6 in 1 for $200) are basically toys which narrowed it down to the Sieg mini-machines, Taig or Sherline. A couple of the guys who did take the time to help me used Sherline and they felt strongly about them.

There simply isn't a model site though where you can really talk about this stuff without constant interruption (whoa is that a lathe, where did you get that, how much, whoa that's too much... maybe I can use a Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon, oh they don't have them...) so I started looking around and this seemed to be the only site that really welcomed self-trained knob turners with a lot of questions (machinist is way to advanced a term for what I do) and didn't treat mini-machines as glorified toys.

Oh, yeah, Mikey should be getting customer referral checks from Sherline... ;)

Wow, did I really just write all this? I guess you have found out I also like to talk.

i get paid to fix things others carelessly destroy.
it's interesting how a bowling ball can be broken with a broomstick.
i can't explain the physics behind the statement, but, it must be like the bumble bee that shouldn't be able to fly typa thing.

I can relate to that statement. I have often heard, you never refer to something as firefighter proof, because that will just be seen as a challenge. Some of the stuff I've seen guys break just leaves me scratching my head.

I worked all my life as an engineer in the pulp and paper industry and after I retired I got into woodworking as a hobby. Then from a thread in the routerforum I got hooked into cnc routers and build 8 so far all in aluminum which I sell to recover my cost (takes me about a year to build one and sell). Now again from a forum I got hooked into machining and bought a mini Taig lathe. Never used one however my first job as a teenager was in a rep importing Perkins diesel engines and they also had a good size machine shop which at lunch time I was allowed to use one of the lathes to learn and did a lot of practicing then but have forgotten it all. This forum here is an excellent source of help

Medical Reasons brought me here.
The VA decided I needed to interact more with people. They gave me a computer and I started looking around. Surprise -- The internet had sicker people than I on the net. No place for me to be. I sat and talked with a VA Rep for hours. We found some machining forums. They said this should work for me.
OK. I tried it and was soon overwhelmed by the amount of X-Spurts out there. I use that term because they were Self-Centered and Egomaniacs. This is how I met Nelson. They would bash him at every turn.
Found this site and have been here ever since.

"Billy G"

I retired 10 years ago and before retirement I knew I needed a hobby to keep me busy. I can't stand to sit around. I owned and operated a consulting engineering company before retirement and wanted something completely different for a hobby. I decided woodworking would be fun and got started with that. That lasted for a few years but after moving to the country I wanted some new challenges and tried new hobbies like smoking meats / cheeses, pizza making, black smithing, forging, knife making, fabricating and finally machining.

The machining got started because I needed some new pins and bushings for my skidsteer and decided I would make them instead of spending a few hundred dollars to buy them. So off to the tool store to get a metal lathe. I got a 10" x 22" Chinese lathe and quickly discovered there were a lot of problems with the lathe and the operator. Lack of knowledge and experience was obvious and help was needed. So I looked at some machining forums to see where I could get some guidance. I found one that was extremely abusive to newbies and forbid discussions about imports. Strike that one from the list. Then I found this forum and my new home. Everyone here is friendly and extremely helpful, plus they don't mind that I bought cheap Chinese machines and will even help me make them more usable.

My hats off to the great people administering this forum and the awesome members that are always willing to help others.

This is my morning stop after breakfast. I grab a coffee and go downstairs, light the woodstove, fire up the computer and log onto this site. Great way to start a day!

Hmm.. What interesting responses.

I am a programmer at the day job. I sort of fell into it during the whole dot-com thing and managed to ride out the crash. I started as a kid and really enjoyed it. The down side, is now it's not as fun as a hobby. I still do little things on the side, but not nearly as much as I used to. On the up side, it leaves funds available to buy tools, so I guess that's a win overall.

I've always been interested in how things work, taking things apart, fixing things, and more recently designing things. What is now called a "maker" in some circles. I enjoy working with electricity, electronics, mechanics, and generally learning. 3D printing has been fun and I've created some designs that way. Tesla coils, cars, rocketry, home maintenance, computers, networking, etc..

I started out recently with machining as a hobby. I have been building large model rockets for years and wanted to get into making parts for motors and other metal parts. I also remembered that I really liked shop class in high school. I did mostly wood back then, but did get some time in the metal shop as well. I did learn basic metal lathe operation back then, so I at least knew what the knobs do and not to leave the key in the chuck. I've found making chips to be more fun than I remember from back then, though perhaps it was just being a kid at the time I didn't appreciate it. I also didn't appreciate at the time just how small some of the tolerances are. I suspect the indicators were graduated at 0.01/div. :)

As for how I came to this site... Well, I realized that if I wanted to be better at this I needed a place I could learn from people that know what they are doing and are willing to share with random apprentice level people online. I could take a class at the local community college as well, and I still might, but I found this place and it seems to fit my needs/ability pretty well. Like many others, I ran into other forums that are downright hostile if you aren't a pro machinist with really expensive tools. I didn't bother to sign up there. There is good info I get from them on google searches, but I don't bother posting there. Neither myself nor my import tools are welcome there. I see what they are going for, they want other pros to talk to. Fine, but nobody starts out as a pro. And, frankly, as a profession, machining is declining and going overseas. Particularly the manual type. There will always be some, but is it enough to get new blood in? Talking with some guys at work, one of them is a journeyman machinist and switched after getting laid off. He says he knows a bunch of others. So it doesn't look good. I honestly think the hobby crowd is going to wind up being a big part of machining, like it or not. Much like blacksmithing and blade makers. As for the tools, lots of really good work is done on small and/or import tools. It takes longer, but I'm a hobbyist, not a production shop. Taking 1 hour to make something that a pro shop could do in 10 minutes is fine for me.

So thanks to all of you that contribute here. I hope to help out some new hobbyists eventually as well.

And, frankly, as a profession, machining is declining and going overseas. Particularly the manual type. There will always be some, but is it enough to get new blood in? Talking with some guys at work, one of them is a journeyman machinist and switched after getting laid off. He says he knows a bunch of others. So it doesn't look good.

I agree 100% with this statement . Most of us old time machinists including myself are now into maintenance positions and part time machinists when breakdowns occur in production . I cant name a machine shop around Baltimore that isn't a CNC production type house ( other than some large shaft work that requires turning and grinding . Seems like high output production or breakdown work will be the only survivors .

I have said this before, but I joined the site because of a thread of Mark Frasier building a toolpost grinder so I decided to join and am glad I did. I am a qualified automotive machinist by trade,but picked up lathe and milling experience by stealing with my eyes. Management always thought I was just standing there and talking. And what happened later on.......who did they ask to work on the lathe when the lathe operator was sick or on leave, that's right......me. Over the years I got more and more interested.

After 12 years of verbal abuse and exploiting me by doing the work of 4 people, I had enough and quit. Got a lathe operator job at a private business owner,but 7 months later had a huge motorcycle accident on my way to work, (car turned in front of me). I couldn't work for 18 months and I was forced to stop working because of permanent hip,knee and hand damage. But thats not in my DNA to do nothing. So I bought my lathe and built my homeshop business from there through the Grace of God. Almost 7 years later and I am still going and loving it all the way. Thats me in a nutshell. I love making chips and learning more and more. I like making my own tools and that feeling of accomplishment.

They said there'd be Hi-C and Krimpets so I said, "What the heck!" and joined. :D

Actually, the reason I visit here most often and have donated is because of the very giving, kind souls that are gracious enough to take the time to provide all the info found on this site and the future posts as well. They do it without making the questioner feel like an ass for asking questions. Thank you to everyone who asks questions and to those who take the time to answer. Without each other....well, you know. :eagerness:

Back