What brings us all here to the Hobby Machine website ?

I am a mechanic for a railroad. I work on everything from chainsaws to 600 ton press brakes. Spent many years in the automotive repair industry. I come to this site for the knowledge and information. I'm still learning machine work. Purchased my first lathe, a 63 heavy 10 toolroom lathe. I've always been curious about machine tools.

That's awesome! I have other stuff to do now to hopefully get ahead financially (some anyway!). I would like to build a small helicopter or maybe a small bush plane.

Do you have your pilots license?

Yes, I do.

I studied Audio Engineering in college, bounced around working live productions such as concerts for a while, and fell into corporate AV after that. I currently earn my paycheck doing systems maintenance and tech support in a corporate office. In other words, I have no earthly business owning any sort of machine tools.
I've long been inclined toward making my own things. My fiance' and I built most of the furniture in our house together, and I've noticed that, in any given project, I always wind up needing some very very simple piece of hardware that, for reasons unknowable, does not exist. I got tired of saying, "I could just make one if I had the right tools." So I bought a Sherline lathe. I've been making fittings, simple tools, and modifications. I've done a few 4+ hour scrap bin contribution projects :grin:. I'm learning a lot and having a lot of fun. I'm mostly here to lurk, ask dumb questions, and learn tips from people more skilled and experienced than myself.

How I got here, hum , kinda just looking for other guys who like machines and making the things others have know clue about. I spent my high school years in vocational taking machine tool & die technology. Aka machinist. That along with extra two years of drafting and apprenticeship while working in different shops . Two different valve manufacturing shops , then a jobing shop doing mostly repairs for a steel mill in pa. After that a government contracts shop along with other contracts from large industrial heaters. While doing my high school years I worked in a start up company manufacturing micro circuit engineering parts running the machine shop on my own till I needed time in different areas and more money. I was made Forman in my last job after being there three months with a nice raise and extra responsibility. Then the sh t hit the fan for me , I woke up one morning in savere agony in my upper spine , my wife drove me to the drs there I sat in the exam room waiting for the Dr and my legs went numb short while later it came back , I walked around a bit paceing in agony then sat down and then it set in and I couldn't move . When the Dr finally got there he called 911 which we didn't have then . He shot me up with some demeral which did nothing , every bump or wiggle getting to the hospital was like getting stabbed to death. After mylograms they said my spinal fluids blocked between my shoulders , emergency surgery that night . Waking up the pain was gone I can move my legs life's on the mend , the surgeon removed bone to allow room for a swollen spinal cord . Ok no problem WRONG , my spinal fluids draining through the wound Dr says operate I say no they coerce my wife and family to get me to ok it , YUPP I oked it but to only seal the leak on paper. Operation #2 wake up feel nothing from my neck down can't move my lower body at all. So more good news he removed more bone and couldn't find the reason from the first operation but now I'm worse he did more then he was allowed to do and I'm still leaking spinal fluid . After a week or so of spinal taps daily he says I'm going on vacation and ships me to Pennsylvania hospital to the top back surgeon on the east coast in 1979 . There I'm put through two mylograms the lower no problem but the upper they stick a four inch needle behind my ear into my spine , my family heard my screams of pain on another floor doing that test .
So Dr Simeon operates takes a skin graft from my left leg and seals the leak . After the operation I asked him what he found he told me son the only thing I could see was scar tissue . So now I've had three spinal surgeries in three weeks , they sent me to Magee rehabilitation hospital on my belly for several weeks then it's onward to rehabilitation for four months in hospital . I worked real hard to walk but was left with a drop foot on my left I did alright for twenty years but wore out the left knee hyperflexion and that caused spurs on my hip , I started falling so between the knee pain and hip pain I bought a mobility scooter to do my long walking , then in 2006 back pain sent me to the hospital for a week of drugs and the pain never stopped by 2009 I wasn't moving much and I had a massive pulmonary embolism blocking both lungs YUPP I was dead in the emergency room of course I didn't go the day it happened it was the next day . They told my family they could try a clot buster but I could die either way . Well the clot buster brought me back I was out of body yes it's crazy but true. After all that I lost the rest of my walking spent the entire year of 2009 in and out of hospitals and nursing homes where they even tried to kill me , one I had another small embolism and they wouldn't call 911 , I called my wife and she called them so back in again then I get staph infection and 105 fever back in another hospital only to be sent to there other hospital for cat scan I'm to big for the first ones. Quarantined for staph infection. Room to myself yea. Can't go home need intravenous drugs to clear out crap in blood. So off to nursing home again ok drugs are done after three weeks then four then five. Now I'm peeing blood by the gallon er run to Jefferson they wouldn't even look at me for just that said where do you want to go I said home and the took me home . The nursing home wouldn't let me out and this second one was giving me someone else's drugs I cked everything and they sent the wrong drugs so I know how they killed my step father in the Medford NJ nursing home on rt 70 . Lucky thing I had the passing of blood probably saved my life. But after a few weeks home more infection now more pain another very high fever back to Jefferson now it's emergency surgery blocked kidney full of poison put stent into drain then they go in and remove a very large number of stones breaking them and removing them.
Since then I've really been doing well in the body area not to many bladder infections. For years I suffered with them constantly.
Why am I here I don't know I never expected to live past my forties which I was told in hospital most quadriplegic people die in that time .
I enjoy this site , I share if I can , I've had a long career of doing small engine repairs , welding , gunsmithing , even machined and sold dozens of special gun cleaning rods and brushes and other trap and skeet shooting items in brass and aluminum , I worked really hard to achieve one goal to be on the ALL AMERICAN TRAP TEAM I made it in 2004 . I grew up working and hunting and fishing it was my goal to do it till I died or couldn't do it. But the life I wanted was stolen by a butcher Dr , I was ment to own and run a jobing shop with full services it was my dream to have and a gunsmith shop on my own for extra income.
Plans and life have never been my choice but I vowed to have my machine shop I have about ten machines if I ever get them in the shop only time and my strength will tell. Every bit of my extra earned money is gone . If they can get my pain under control I hope I can get the shop cleaned out and all my machines set up and running I've got lots of machining left to do.
If you guys don't like or think this belongs you can delete or whatever. My only goal on here is to help , even make a smile .
Good God, your a hell of a fighter.

What brings me here...

Every morning at 7am, I back up the MySql database so if a crash occurs, we can get back up with minimal loss.
I check the support email for support requests.
I check the Xenforo site and about 6 other sites for software updates I need to install.
Then I check the site.
I make sure all registration requests are approved.
I check the staff forum to make sure there is nothing I have to get involved with.
If necessary, I download and install updates on the server and make sure they work.
Everyone wants to be the boss. Well, this is what it entails, enjoy.

What brought me here:

I was crossing the street at work, and realized I needed a personal website. I checked out one of those hoster sites, and they allowed up to 2 domains, and had some free software. I realize I could get a personal site with my name and another site on it. I had bought a lathe. Because of the horrid experience I had at other sites, I had no help getting it back together. I felt awful about the whole experience. My wife had suggested a hobby, but it wasn't fun. I used the free SMF software and bought a domain. The name was for guys like me who weren't machinists by trade, just trying to learn without being abused. It was me and a really nice guy with a Swedish name. He was helping me learn. One day he up and disappeared.

What keeps me here:

There are people who need and want to learn how to use machine tools. They need to be taught properly and with patience. We do that here. We have a huge storehouse of data, answers to questions, downloads, articles, how-to's. I am going to use the site myself if I ever get to putting my machines back together. If it only serves those of you like me, we have accomplished a lot. Then there is the need to maintain the mission of this place, which is learning without pain.

Well done sir! When I found this place last year I was very wary like a lot of the other new folks. It doesn't take very long to lurk here to see it is different. The net is an amazing place, but anonymity can bring out the worst in folks. But then I remember how mean some of the guys on the floor of all the shops I've worked in could be and it seemed natural it would be that way when talking shop on the net. Only worse because they didn't have to worry somebody would get offended and physically kick their butt. I'd resigned myself to just lurking and hope to pick up what I needed through chance. But not here, there is a huge range of experience and knowledge without mess. What a difference intention can make and the intent to help others without insult is about as good as it gets IMHO and i appreciate the mission.

It's great fun to be here and I'm still learning...
Mark

Just got back from enjoying 4 days up in the wonderful mountains of Upstate New York . Didn't do any machining , but did a whole lot of mountain property maintenance work ! Busted my butt in those woods , but somehow it doesn't seem like work . Still some snow patches around but the weather was warm and the dogs had a ball running thru the woods and the rivers . Nelson , thanks for the site and the hard work put into it . Like the mountains , it is a great place to be . :encourage:

I am very much a "greenhorn" machinist and I must say my stumbling onto this sight was an epiphany and hopefully will get me to the next level. Thank you all for making us amateurs welcome and willing to share everything that you know and are doing. My focus is large-scale railroad modelbuilding as you see in my avatar. Nelson, thank you for starting this endeavor and keeping at it in spite of its tribulations. I hope to do some contributing once my mill (PM30 mv) arrives and I get the gearbox on the rockwell 10-24 lathe gets put back together. Thank you all again.
Talk soon
Dick w

I basically grew up in my grandfather’s machine shop, learning and watching, what he and his 2 brother (great uncles) did in their rural upstate NY machine shop. I been interested in the machining process, from an early age, and constantly read and observe, what other people do in their shops. While I do not consider myself a machinist, I usually can get the job done. I’m always interested in the macinery and the procedures, that other people use, occasionally I pick up a tweak or two in the way, I do a step, making my work easier. I also feel, if I have something to add, I can.

Back