What brand ER40 collet set do you use?

taltexan

Registered
Registered
I’m looking for a good set that will hold tolerance. What are y’all using? Thanks

All good answers. What tolerance do you need to hold? Depending on the answer, it may change the recommendations. You pay more for better specs, so it is a tradeoff between cost and performance.

All good answers. What tolerance do you need to hold? Depending on the answer, it may change the recommendations. You pay more for better specs, so it is a tradeoff between cost and performance.
It’s just a hobby but I would like to buy decent quality.

ETM/Iscar, Techniks, Rego-Fix a few others are to tier collets and not only have low TIR spec. (0.0002"), but also hold this over their clamping range. Some of the less expensive generic ones may not collapse in a uniform fashion. I use both the ETM/Iscar and Techniks when I need very low TIR on my mill, on my lathe I have a set of ER40 from Z-Live. It depends on what you are using them for as to the set/sizes that you need. In a mill, I use an ER32 set and you only need something like a 1/8 or 1/16" increment set, as almost all end mill shanks come in some increment of that step. I also have a few fixed increment (non-collapsible) ER32 collets for aligning my indicators that require TIR in the 0.0001" range. If you are using the ER collets to clamp material, then the you are more tolerant of the TIR spec, and more interested in a complete clamping range so would look for a set in 1 mm or 1/32 increments. I use the latter for my ER40 set that is used in my lathe.

The ER holder and bearing nut can also have a significant impact on holding power and TIR of the collet, I would recommend a Techniks or Rego-Fix power nut, or a bearing nut from Rego-Fix. I tried other bearing nuts and they all failed in short order.

ETM ER40 R8 for me
I found ETM to be very nice stuff. I had ordered a quality import from a supplier up north. I figured it was Chineese, or Indian.. But what came was ETM (from Israel).. it turned out to be absolutely awesome... 0.0002 runnout.

Listen to mksj. The quality of the collets you buy depends on the application. If you're buying them for tool holding in the mill then buy the highest quality you can afford in 1/8's will work - ETM, Rego-Fix, Techniks are all very good. If you're going to use them to hold work in the lathe then do NOT use high quality collets; here, a cheap import set in 32nds will do fine. And I agree that regardless of the quality of the collets, high quality nuts are a very good idea.

What does the wording mean 1/8"-1" x 1/32, Is that the clamp range? In the description it says x 1/16.

Back