What are factors for what "class" of lathe to buy?

The 1236T jumps from 1100 to 1800, nothing in between.

One of the many reasons to go 3 phase with a VFD.
My thoughts exactly. With the 1236, you can change out the motor later if that works for you. Since you primarily use HSS, those high speeds may not ba s critical for the moment.

Actually change out the motor is not so easy on that lathe, it requires a TENV type, and very few are short enough to fit. Marathon E467, BlackMax Y551, Baldor IDNM3587T are the most common , but expensive unless you can find one on eBay at a reasonable price. All TEFC motors will not fit and also metric frames with fan cooling will not fit. You would be better off getting the stock 3 phase motor and a static converter or a home-built RPC for starters, but you are close to the cost of a VFD.

Last edited:
@mksj - I hope we are referring to the same thing?

I was thinking he could later easily swap out the AC motor as an upgrade to 3 phase on either of the 1236 lathes as they have TEFC motors.

If I was unclear I apologize.

Agree it would be best to get the 3ph unit stock and go with a static converter. Or just have @mksj do a conversion right away.

So, to summarize.

1. PM1236T 3ph
2. VFD conversion
3. Custom built stand per @davidpbest with tool chest underneath
4. Caster system or palette jack to move it around
5. Tooling as needed starting with BXA QCTP and 5c collet chuck

Anything else?

See how good we are at spending your money :grin:

John

P.S. Do you also need a mill?

Maybe he should go see Dave and get that Enco 13" x 40" lathe if it's not already gone.

John

@mksj - I hope we are referring to the same thing?

I was thinking he could later easily swap out the AC motor as an upgrade to 3 phase on either of the 1236 lathes as they have TEFC motors.

If I was unclear I apologize.
It’s not a standard size IEC motor, so you will not find much that will fit without making modifications.

This is an ongoing problem with the motors used in these lathes, they are specific designs that do not conform to any motor dimension standards and this is true of many of the smaller lathes with the motor mounted on the rear of the headstock. Motors in the headstock cabinet, typically one has a much wider selection that can be fitted. The 1236T and 1340GT have very limited selection of replacement motors and there are still some fitment issues. The 1440GT has no alternative motors that fit, and the 2 that can be used require fabricating a new motor mount and belt guard modifications. A new motor can be $600 or more discounted, and these days with inventory issues you may not even be able to get a stock motor replacement.

Back