Went Through My Project List Today

I have this project list for when I ever get a real mill. Just went looking through it today and realized I have about 50 projects on the back burner because my Drill press miller is not accurate enough for most of them. So now I have to go through some of the ones I think I can get by using the drill press. And cross off the ones I may not have time for.
This is not going to be an easy task because I know I am missing something that will come up and bite me in the .

Bill I know how you feel, well sort of., I simply don't have room for a mill. So as I have mentioned, on here before, I intend to build me a mill attachment for the lathe, but so far very little progress. since my other half had a stroke some 6 weeks ago I've been spending all my spare time in the hospital, and travelling to and fro, but she is progressing well and the doctors say she can come home, maybe with a bit of luck, by the end of January.

When she comes home I'll have a bit more time, no travelling and sitting in the hospital. so I hope to get in the workshop a bit more.

When I first bought my lathe some 6 months ago, she was dead set against it, bit time has softened her opposition. And as they say every cloud has a silver lining, she has come to realise that with a lathe in the garage I'm likely to stay home more, which suits her.

Just get on with the ones that are easily done on the equipment you have and before long someone will come up with a mill that you can afford.

What size lathe you got Bill?

Good luck and look on the bright side.

Bob.

Bob,
I only have an older HF 7x12. Even a milling attachment would not give me much area for milling things. The cross slide limits milling anything longer than a couple inches. And the drill press is not accurate enough to do some of the things I would like to make.

Hi Bill, I'm going thru tuff times too. I was able to procure several machines in the past two years , but haven't been able to get any of them setup in the garage . I have been slowly emptying my shop . Tons of tools and machines. Wood for building furniture , parts for lawnmowers and more. But now I'm unable to even get out of bed without horrific pain . So I went to the neurologist , need testing then more visits to see. Will have therapy to see if it will help now till the tests. I've got a new HF drill mill in the crate, enco mini Bridgeport knee mill, and a atlas mill , I bought a old giant landis surface grinder , a bandsaw and power hacksaw. I'm afraid ill never get out there to even use them , three are wrapped in tarps sprayed heavily with my own oil mix of hydraulic , gear oil and kerosene. Works to clean , lube and protect . I use a pressurized sprayer. My biggest trouble is the pain that stops me. My point is if you keep trying on craigslist some will deliver there mill to you. I had the big grinder delivered by the seller for fifty bucks . The enco mill was delivered but cost me an extra hundred fifty dollars. But for both with the extra cost was under fifteen hundred. But my savings now are all but gone. I vowed to have my machine shop before I die so I guess I'm close or I'm done without using any.

Back