Went Through My Project List Today

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
I have this project list for when I ever get a real mill. Just went looking through it today and realized I have about 50 projects on the back burner because my Drill press miller is not accurate enough for most of them. So now I have to go through some of the ones I think I can get by using the drill press. And cross off the ones I may not have time for.
This is not going to be an easy task because I know I am missing something that will come up and bite me in the .

You need a REAL mill it sounds like . I will be listing one on here tomorrow as I bit the bullet on a $13,000 Kubota backhoe today . I need the space so somethings gonna leave the garage real soon .:(

Problem is I can not come up with enough money to pay for one right out. I was promised one of the small Bridgeport Machines with the 24" table for $300 about 4 years ago but the guy scrapped it instead. And there was nothing wrong with it other than it needed a good cleaning. I keep hoping some day things will work out. In the mean time I will just keep going through the list and deleting some things so it doesn't get too big.

Problem is I can not come up with enough money to pay for one right out. I was promised one of the small Bridgeport Machines with the 24" table for $300 about 4 years ago but the guy scrapped it instead. And there was nothing wrong with it other than it needed a good cleaning. I keep hoping some day things will work out. In the mean time I will just keep going through the list and deleting some things so it doesn't get too big.

Bill sounds like you need to to either buy, scrounge or build a mill, now there's a new project.

Bob
I am slowly getting away from machining. It takes me too long to mill anything with the drill press and health won't let me spend the time needed to do much anymore. I have been looking for mill for a long time with no success. Building one would take time and money I don't really have. So instead I will just lurk here and help when I can. I can only spend 4 hours or so in the shop most days and sometimes I don't have the ambition to even start a project.

Billh50,
In the next few months I'm going to be drawing prints and doing some head scratching regarding a taper attachment for a 15inch Colchester.
My goal is to make the hand drawn prints available to the other HMer who have Coles.
Would you be interested and available in proofing the prints?
I scored an exploded parts diagram. But have no measurements, and will need to determine tolerances etc.
Huge project!!!
Sure would appreciate an experienced eye to chew through the details...

Daryl
MN

Bob
I am slowly getting away from machining. It takes me too long to mill anything with the drill press and health won't let me spend the time needed to do much anymore. I have been looking for mill for a long time with no success. Building one would take time and money I don't really have. So instead I will just lurk here and help when I can. I can only spend 4 hours or so in the shop most days and sometimes I don't have the ambition to even start a project.

Understand where you are coming from Bill. Age, Illness and old injuries catch up with us all. I'm in the process of setting up my new lathe, my first. and there's no way I have the room for a mill, so I intend to fabricate a vertical spindle milling attachment for the lathe.

First I have to finish setting up the lathe, with proper hold-downs and jacking screws to level it up, I also need to make a set of skates so that I can move it when necessary. plus a lifting device for lifting heavy items like 4 jaw chuck up from the floor. I'm hoping to get a start on the Milling attachment before Xmas. floor space, or rather lack of it, is my main problem.

If your machining days are nearly over then i'm sure you can offer advice, experience and comments to the rest of us.

I did have an offer of a free small Burke mill from one of the members here. But don't have the money for shipping from Florida to CT. That would have made things a little better. But limited income hurts sometimes. And trying to find something on small payments is almost nil. And saving up doesn't work well because it always gets nickeled and dimed to nothing.

I did have an offer of a free small Burke mill from one of the members here. But don't have the money for shipping from Florida to CT. That would have made things a little better. But limited income hurts sometimes. And trying to find something on small payments is almost nil. And saving up doesn't work well because it always gets nickeled and dimed to nothing.

That's a pity Bill. I understand the cost of road freight. It's even worse here in Australia, a small package can cost $100 from one end of the country to the other. A pity you don't know any truckers that could do you a favour. I always ask around among some trucker mates, offer to do some welding or machining for them sometimes works, but not always.

Last time I was touring around in the USA I spoke to a few truckers and I know they do carry for friends and favours, just the same as here.

I do know a couple truckers. Unfortunately they retired 2 weeks before the machine was offered. Sometimes I think if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck.

Back