Well This Just Looks Wrong....

that's the one, didn't do a very good job of describing it originally. If you get some really bad welded pipe of the right ID, you might even be able to use the weld seam as is :)

Google is ur friend.... "sonsofinvention" scroll to the bottom. They have a repair that I have tried, works well. And if it ever does fail, it shouldn't do any damage.

Thanks folks! I found the repair and it looks to be something I may be able to do. Once I gather some tools for the lathe I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again!
-Spike

Update.
The bud I got the lathe from stopped by today to drop off some stuff for it. The T handle for the chuck, a few wrenches that fit various stuff, and a live center. He also handed over money to replace the broken gear. That told me a couple things. First, he isn't planning to give his lathe away any time soon, and second, the old Atlas will be back to it's old form before long. I will source a replacement and then maybe tinker on the broken one and see if it will do as a backup part.

So while I had hoped he would let it go for a decent price that isn't gonna happen, but he won't be coming for it any time soon either. I know he has no room for it and after he saw how much better it looks thanks to my de-rusting efforts he is happy to leave it with me indefinitely.
Yours,
-Spike

Update #2
I have sitting here on my bench a brand new to me cross feed gear to replace the bad one :D. Got it from ebay and it came with the collar, lock ring, and even the bolt to mount it with. This weekend I will be back to tinkering on it again, I've been tackling it one section at a time, cleaning, lubing, and learning as I go.

I do have a new dumb question though. The collar that this gear rides in has a bronze bushing. on the outside there is a channel from the apron housing down along the pot metal collar housing. At the collar housing is a hole in the pot metal. This is all for getting oil to the gear that runs in the bronze bushing I assume.

The odd thing is with both the old collar I had and the one that came with the new to me gear the hole does not continue through the bronze bushing. Now if the intent was to get oil between the bronze bushing and the cross feed gear how is it supposed to get there?

Thanks for all the help in my adventure, and be prepared for my next round of stupid questions :).
-Spike

It should be an Oilite bronze bushing. They are porous, and the oil will wick through.

Howdy everyone, it's me Spike. I have no idea why my user name and such do not work anymore but I signed up again and so far I haven't been booted .....yet.

I got the lathe all back together and functioning 100% again :D. Then I went ahead and wired up a reversing drum switch so it can run in forward and reverse.

I am still watching videos and reading through the forum trying to learn what I can. Till I can get some material and accessories I am pretty much at a standstill when it comes to actually turning anything. I want to practice threading on some steel rod since I have it on hand. Then I need to figure out a project I can try. I am open to any ideas since I don't have much of an imagination. Anyway, I am dealing with a sick mother in the hospital right now, but I still lurk here when I get the chance. Keep the great advice coming!
-Spike

Hope your Mom gets well soon!

Looks like someone repaired this one with a new key.
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Back