Well This Just Looks Wrong....

I'm pretty sure the original part is Zamak. I'm not sure how well silver soldering would work.

Could you drill/tap a couple of holes in the gear in line with each other? Then run in a couple of dog point set screws? The end of the dog points would run in the corresponding keyway. Maybe an alternative.

Bruce

The key way is in the lead screw. The set screw would tend to get caught in the threads.

Some of the gears are Zamac and others are steel. I had both versions. Obviously the steel version is easier to repair. I assumed that the steel version was the new release.

The part has a spline running end to end inside the bore. Mine is wiped pretty much completely. I found out that Sears offers a new gear but it carries a different part number and I have no idea if it is a match for mine. The page has a good pic though: View attachment 126272

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/cra...051/0009/101/model-10128900/0247/0728000.html
They sure are proud of it though. $200 is a bit much for someone else's machine.
-Spike

Be careful of what Sears says they can supply-search for any part for anything, and Sears appears on the search list. (as does K-mart, usually)

The gear I have is not steel. I wish it was as I could just weld a new spline in. The more I think about it the less I think I want to try to cobble the bad gear to make it work. As it stands now I'm only out the power cross feed. Since it is not my lathe I don't know if I want to sink too much coin it it. If a power cross feed is something I end up wishing I had then I will buy the part to repair it. Thanks for all the replies!
-Spike

My bet is if you order part # 341-051 from Clausing it will be all steel and cost somewhere in the vicinity of $150, +/- 20 or 30 bucks. This is the exact replacement for all 10" and 12" model lathes made by Atlas Press Co. that have power cross-feed.

Spiral_Chips

do you have enough meat on the gear bit to press it onto a piece of steel pipe the right diameter? Doesn't look like you can bore the gear the whole way through, but there might be enough depth to get a good interference fit (pin it too?). Then you can solder in a key and you're good to go.

do you have enough meat on the gear bit to press it onto a piece of steel pipe the right diameter? Doesn't look like you can bore the gear the whole way through, but there might be enough depth to get a good interference fit (pin it too?). Then you can solder in a key and you're good to go.

I don't think there is enough room to sleeve the gear since the lead screw runs through the inside and the gear itself spins inside a housing. This weekend I will get with the bud that let me take the lathe and maybe we can work out a deal so it is either mine outright or he will help pay for any repairs it may need.
Thanks for all the input!
-Spike

I wasn't being clear enough - cut off the gear end and press that onto a steel sleeve of the right ID and OD

Ahhh okay, I can see it now. Cut off the gear itself, bore it to fit a new sleeve? That is an option I had not thought of. Yet another thing to consider, thanks!
-Spike

Back