Weldon Flat End Mill Cutter?

I avoid the 'hang-up' of the setscrew by lining up the cutter shank outside the holder, gauging the insertion, then marking the shank with a sharpie. Works every time.

Actually, I suppose you could mill the flat twice as long and it wouldn't matter.

You are all correct,..but, the Weldon flat a. Looks better and b. aids in the insertion of the tool.
Both are not "critical for application", but if I can do it, I will...the 45°'s of course. :) I can also cut the 45's later
if I have access to the tooling/grinder. Thanks to all for the replies.

Yes. Using a square or corner chamfer end mill will work and leave straight 90° sides. It just doesn't look as good.
The problem with doing two 45's is that I need repeat ability. I need to move the tool for each side and insert cutter or a collet block
holder will be needed. If I had a cutter grinder, it would be cake. The collet cutter blocks leave too much over-hang but that can be solved
with a the right height V block or metal block to minimize flex. I just need a small flat so I'll probably settle with a straight flat. It's for a set screw.
Thanks for all of your replies and ideas.

Does it need to be held in a collet block? If you are not indexing it to another flat or feature I would hold it directly in a vise if you are concerned about rigidity.

Back