Weldon Flat End Mill Cutter?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is there such a thing as an end mill that cuts 45° weldon flats? Can an existing end mill be ground to cut weldon flats? It's not easy to cut two 45° angles with a flat in between all the same depth.

$127-$145 per end mill. That's a bit more than I'm willing to spend. I guess I'll just use my angle blocks with a square cutter block., cut the two 45's then the flat.

Just make yourself an inserted cutter, even if you don't hit the width, you can take a couple of passes. It's not that critical anyway. Nothing bears on the 45°'s.

Just make yourself an inserted cutter, even if you don't hit the width, you can take a couple of passes. It's not that critical anyway. Nothing bears on the 45°'s.

I am curious. Can a straight sided cut be used and forgo the 45° angles?

David

Yes. Using a square or corner chamfer end mill will work and leave straight 90° sides. It just doesn't look as good.
The problem with doing two 45's is that I need repeat ability. I need to move the tool for each side and insert cutter or a collet block
holder will be needed. If I had a cutter grinder, it would be cake. The collet cutter blocks leave too much over-hang but that can be solved
with a the right height V block or metal block to minimize flex. I just need a small flat so I'll probably settle with a straight flat. It's for a set screw.
Thanks for all of your replies and ideas.

Sure. There's nothing special about the angles, or the width really as long as you get the set screw on it. Same with the depth. Naturally there are standards, but for practicality, it's not that critical.

Why do you need anything but a flat.
Just cut a flat, the set screw doesn't care about the little 45's on both sides of the flat.
Unless you are selling the tooling.

Is there such a thing as an end mill that cuts 45° weldon flats? Can an existing end mill be ground to cut weldon flats? It's not easy to cut two 45° angles with a flat in between all the same depth.
The only reason I see for the angled shoulder is to make sure (help to) the set screw doesn't get hung up on the 90° shoulder of the cut.

Back