Welding helmet for my son

Welding isn't my thing. I braze and silver solder like a proper craftsman (waiting for the flaming).

Can I get a short training session next time you're near Maryville? :grin: (after I get the shop straightened up of course...)

.......and there we have it.
THAT is exactly why this site is the "friendly" forum!

The first guy puts on his flame suit for a comment he has made.
The next guy asks him for help on how he does it!

I love this site!
-brino

I think one would want a helmet which is solar powered and has the four sensors. I have an Esab Tweco like that which came with my welder. It’s a nice helmet. I also have a cheap 40.00 model I got off of Amazon. It needs two button batteries. If I don’t use it for a while, and batteries are bad... then there is no warning. It just doesn’t darken. Hurts the eyes. Still has a UV filter so it’s not anything super bad, but it’s a pain in the butt.
Definitely prefer the solar powered helmet.

I have Speedglas, Optrel and the latest addition...Blue Demon. The Blue Demon has true colr and almost feels like a sunglasses when welding (without the flash/burn) They are reasonable..about $200. Overall, it is my favorite to weld in as far as being able to see comfortable and more than just the puddle. I think its called True View. I trust it for safety over HFT but if he were to try that then the Blue Demon...he'd be sold.TRUE VIEW

I have Speedglas,
This 3M technology is state of the art. They ain't cheap, they offer many styles for many budgets, but $300 is cheaper than a set of prescription glasses, aint it?

This 3M technology is state of the art. They ain't cheap, they offer many styles for many budgets, but $300 is cheaper than a set of prescription glasses, aint it?
Believe it or not, The Speedglass is my least favorite...granted that was my first helmet and is over 12 years old. The last couple years they have done incredible things that make you feel like your not even wearing a hood (visually speaking)

I suggest watching a few YouTube videos like those from professional welders such as Austin Ross:
and weldingtipsandtricks - YouTube
My personal preference is for a 4-sensor large view insert. Most can also take various strength dioptre lens which beats wearing glasses when on a long run.
Peer pressure can be a powerful thing so your idea of visiting a few suppliers and seeing what is on offer is a good one.
Like I told my offspring - be a trend setter not a herd member.

Norton.... that’s the best advice to your son and best lesson for him to really listen to. Americans are damned sheep. If 3 neighbors buy something... then they run out and buy the same damned thing without even giving it a simple thought....

Last edited:
I have a Miller pro a older vicking 3350 not 4c and recently tried for the Heck of it a yes weld off Amazon $55.00 I'm ashamed to admit which one I use. But it is clear view

I've got a Miller Digital Elite I use almost all the time, my fallback is an Optrell, I've also got an older Speedglass. My son has a Lincoln Viking & he swears by it, I'm afraid to try it for fear I'll have to buy another hood! My Dad had a Harbor Freight that he said "worked pretty well most of the time", he was happy for the money.
I've always kind of liked being able to see, get your son a quality hood, when he gets old, he'll thank you for it.

Back