Welding helmet for my son

I have both the Viking 3350 4c and the HF Vulcan Arcsafe. I can’t really tell a difference other than in price. To be honest, I use the HF one more often (don’t want to mess up the expensive one). If It was a first helmet I would not hesitate to get the HF one and use the extra money on consumables and practice.
Ryan

My favorite autodarkening helmet is the Lincoln Electric model that they sell at Home Depot. It is very light and works very nicely. Good fit, all that. It has never let me down. Replacement parts are readily available.

Most of the less expensive helmets have only two sensors. The better helmets have 4 sensors. Al.

I have the Harbor Freight helmet. It works just fine. I have been experiencing problems seeing what I am welding. I could see the arc and the puddle but couldn't see the joint I was supposed to follow. I bought a Hobart helmet hoping the better quality lens would let me see better (only marginal improvement) and I particularly liked the headgear. The only downside of the Hobart is the amount of disassembly required to replace the batteries.

In my opinion the HF helmet is fine. If it fails to darken just once take it back to the store. Mine has not failed in the 7+ years I owned it.

This is the he HF helmet I was referring to. D645F61A-74B7-4732-9E5B-8EAF3112E002.png
Also the replacement lenses are cheap!
Ryan

You guys are talking me into looking at the Viking.
I have a New Miller digital elite. I put the cheaters in so I can see but Tig welding is very difficult for me to see the puddle.
Mike, the auto darkening is immediate.

Last edited:
When I made a living welding I used the old huntsman cardboard helmet with a #10 lens. It was very light and comfortable. When it was stolen I tried a Jackson digital. I did not like it. When the Lincoln 3350 viking first came out I tried it and liked it. Then when the 3350 4C came out I purchased it. The 3350 4C has a very comfortable head gear that is very adjustable. The helmet is light weight and the 4C technology has to be the best improvement ever. It is crystal clear and like looking at an HD color TV compared to the old green tint technology monochrome. With cataracts the old hood was not good and gave me problems. The 4C was like a new lease on welding life. My eyesight is too important to take a chance on a cheap welding helmet. The 3350 has 4 sensors with very quick response and works great even on low amperage tig. Just my opinions of course. I don't buy a welding helmet by price. I want the best that i can find. The Viking 3350 4C fills that want. I purchased a 3350 for my son when he wanted to learn to weld.

Roy

... the 4C technology has to be the best improvement ever. It is crystal clear and like looking at an HD color TV compared to the old green tint technology monochrome.

Have to agree, Roy. The 4C is amazing!

Back