Weld Test Stand

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I won’t have any pictures until this afternoon, but I am working on a weld test stand made mostly out of black pipe.

So far, I have spent about $150.00 on materials, & I need to go buy a few more nuts & bolts. I am incorporating some scrap on hand for the base & T-handles.

I will be able to do flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead on sheet & plate, as well as 5G & 6G on pipe & tubing. I cannot do 1G or 2G because there is no spool on this weld test stand. I have no plans to add a spool.

Yesterday I made 5 sleeves on my big lathe, faced 3 bolts using the 5C collet on my little lathe, drilled 1/2” holes in the sleeves & milled 3 nuts on my little mill, & welded 3 nuts & 2 plates on to 3 sleeves with 3/32” 6010 at 77A.

Today I will flap disk the extensive spatter off of the plates, get the last 2 nuts on the sleeves, shorten 5 bolts (the lathe is so good for this, getting bolts to exactly the desired length), prep & weld on 5 T-handles, weld the 3 “arms” on to their sleeves (including coping the pipe), & figure out how to attach pipe coupons to the test stand.

I also need to drill two 1/2” holes in the 3/8” plate. At that point, I will weld on 4 nuts. These are used to clamp on rectangular welding coupons (either sheet or plate). This will necessitate the fabrication of two more T-handled bolts.

I am running out of mild steel round stock for the T-handles. I have some stainless (actually mystery metal) round stock & 309L stick electrodes; I will use those to weld the SS round stock to Grade 8 bolts.

Last edited:
After spending the morning working with wood, I am happy to be working with metal now.

So far, I have faced down Grade 8 nuts and bolts because I’m going to weld on these.

53177061-293C-49E4-B2BF-9558B93C09AF.png
8E921F9F-4D5C-4A52-A16C-91660E837398.jpeg

Back