Wedge or piston type quick change tool posts?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I want to update my 11X36 lathe to a QTPC and would like advise on the merits of a piston type and wedge type system The wedge type is more expensive and I would think it is preferable if cost is not a consideration. But how much difference is there for a hobby machinist to justify the cost difference? Clearly one is significantly better then the other, but why? I appreciate any & all advice.

Thanks!

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the piston style tended to allow the tool to rock on first touch, that bugged me to no end!

I just changed over from a piston tool post to Phase II Wedge that I purchased from ebay for about 120. MSCDirect currently has Phase II wedge for sale for under 200 from their regular price of 441, you should also check with others. There are deals out there.

Now I have to sell my piston style tool post and 10 holders.

When I moved up to the Phase II AXA, I was replacing smaller tool post that TS Engineering made. Here is what I have replaced. It is better sized for 4 to 8" lathes

Original set.JPG

knudsen link=topic=705.msg3696#msg3696 date=1296603896 said:
I agree 100%. Piston types work, and if that's what you have or what you prefer that's cool, but ever wonder why Aloris doesn't make a piston type?

But Aloris does make a piston type in axa as I have one on my atlas 12". The piston is much larger than the Phase II. It repeats perfect and holds tools tight with no movement.

Tools4cheap also makes a decent imported wedge or piston, similar to Phase II, which many people have been happy with. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Best,

Nelson

Nelson, I have a BXA (series 200) Phase II Wedge Type and have used the same size wedge type Aloris. With a little "stoning" & "honing" (read judicial deburring) on the internals, the Phase II feels and works just as smooth as the Aloris. A less expensive Phase II Wedge type seems to be able to accommodate a larger variety of the less expensive tool holders than some of the other cheaper brands, especially if piston type.
CDCO up in Schaumburg, Ill. sells the turning & facing: AXA $8.00, the Boring Turning Facing: $9.00 each. For BXA prices just add $1.00 These tool holder prices are 1/3 the Enco price for size holder. I don't have hands on, but guys tell me they wont fit a Phase II or Aloris Piston Type without modification, but will fit wedge type.
IMHO, the quality of the Post comes first as it needs to be solid on the compound & provide a solid lock on the holder. The holder is just a "clamp" on the tool actuated by the set screws.
One caviat about the CDCO holders - the set screws are crap. However, a box of quality flat end aka flat point set screws is chump change.
Point is need only 1 QCTPost per lathe that can last a life time, but a bunch of holders which can be semi expendable, so where is the major cost over time? Right. So a good post able use less expensive holder seems to make the best economic sense to me.
I guess Platy & Paddy pretty much said the same thing re: wedge. I'm a very slow typer.

Enco Feb. 2011 Hot Deals sale catalog lists the Phase II 6 pc. QCTP Wedge sets $179.95 (100 series/AXA) and $209.95 (200 series/BXA). Make a nice starter set to add more holders to later as need arises.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these qualify for free shipping thru the 28th.

I have a piston type AXA from CDCO.....moving from shims; I love it. It doesn't seem to move, and ive been impressed with the quality. Im sure Aloris, or a wedge type is by far better, but im easily pleased. <>

I have used both wedge and piston type in the AXA size. The piston type I have is from CDCO, works good and is much better than the original lantern tool post that came on the Atlas 10" lathe it is installed on. The wedge type I which I got came from Tools for Cheap went on my 10" Logan and is superior to the piston type; not in quality but in function. The biggest difference is that sometimes, on the piston type, the piston cocks outward when a tool holder is removed and makes it fiddly to put a new tool holder on. Additionally when you lock the piston type the lever doesn't feel as secure as with the wedge type. The only flaw I found in the wedge type from Tool For Cheap is that there is a Acme type screw that is used to lock the wedge. That screw is poorly machined on mine. It appears to be cast and very rough at that, however it functions well and if it ever gives me trouble I'll make a new one. The threaded steel piece for the "T" slot that came with the wedge type from CDCO was so hard I couldn't machine it. I had to anneal it before machining for the "T" slot on the Atlas.

Add to the history of the "piston" style tool post...

When Aloris invented the "quick change" tool post in the late 50's early 60's, it was the piston type. The "wedge type" quick change tool post did not appear until I believe very late 1960's. And as soon as the patents ran out on the "wedge" type everyone and their dog were building them.

I remenber Dad bringing home a "BX" size one back about 1967 that we tried to use on his 9" South Bend Lathe. Just a bit too big. He wound up taking it back to work to sit on a shelf to collect dust. Their smallest lathe back then where Dad worked was a 18" Lodge & Shilpey, just like the one I have now! They still used the old rocker tool post on that lathe back then! The others had the old four way tool blocks on them.

Back