We have come a long way - skills are improving.

I like to choose a project that requires skills in which I am somewhere between clueless and weak. After months & years of doing this, you can rotate back around because the skills that you learned will have faded a bit.

I also put as much time, money & effort into machining & welding as possible. I will go until I am exhausted & then just a little further.

Working like this, I get a lot of frustration (oops, I mean learning) and some success.

After I finish a workpiece, all I see is the flaws. I tell myself that I am in it for the journey & that I had a front row seat to the action.

I have come to believe that failed projects are the best if you can come away from it with a lesson learned.

If you ever see somebody that appears to have a talent, I think it is more than likely that they have worked tenaciously for many years on that skill.

Last edited:
I think I must be extraordinarily lucky. My partner encourages my shop time. Not because she wants rid of me but because she knows it's importance to my mental health.
If these were normal times, my wife would be out with her friends doing something outside the home. I think part of it is she is going stir crazy.
That puts more pressure on me to spend the little time I do have with her.
I get it.

If these were normal times, my wife would be out with her friends doing something outside the home. I think part of it is she is going stir crazy.
That puts more pressure on me to spend the little time I do have with her.
I get it.

I totally understand that Jeff. We’re going stir crazy too.

Details? How is it working out for you?
I am able to touch up and repair two flute end mills. I haven't tried the spiral flutes yet. I was also able to sharpen drill bits.
I am learning.
It's a very handy machine. My problem is way too many things I want to accomplish and I just have no time.
I have CBN and aluminum oxide wheels. Many options are available to me.

i have about 10 hours on lathes.4 on a 12 in swing doing 20 thou cuts then realizing it can do 100 thou. then took to much and scrapped the part.
Know what you mean, I went from a belt drive South Bend 13" to a 7.5HP, gear head 15X50.
Learning I could take .100 to .250" cuts was mind blowing for this hobby machinist.

Back