We have come a long way - skills are improving.

One of the first things I didn't know, but found out quickly is that what I think I'm doing, and what I see I'm doing, my ears are telling me STOP!!!

Cause and affect.
I have learned to use the dial indicator on the lathe (no DRO) and the digital readout on the mill.
Makes a world of difference in the accuracy dept.
Slowly but surely I'm working toward those 4,000 hours.
I think I've clocked in about 22 hours so far :)

Cause and affect.
I have learned to use the dial indicator on the lathe (no DRO) and the digital readout on the mill.
Makes a world of difference in the accuracy dept.
Slowly but surely I'm working toward those 4,000 hours.
I think I've clocked in about 22 hours so far :)
I haven't even broke twenty yet.

Well I know it takes me 3hrs per my Al bat, and I've made 20 of them, so I'm gonna snap mah suspenders, tarnation... :grin:

Last edited:
I've no idea how many hours I've spent at my machine tools ... sometimes succeeding, but all too often ending up just a bit (or occasionally a bunch) off, then adding corrections to "make it work." An apprenticeship, or even a mentor, would definitely have been of great value. I do try to learn from my mistakes ... but I'd also like to learn something from my successes. All too often, I'm not sure why something worked as well as it did.

I’d spend a whole lot more time in my little wonderful shop but, I’m married.
We went to see the grandkids on Sunday, we spent two hours in the truck plus family time. I figured I was good to go when we got home To work in said wonderful shop.
Not so.

I’d spend a whole lot more time in my little wonderful shop but, I’m married.
We went to see the grandkids on Sunday, we spent two hours in the truck plus family time. I figured I was good to go when we got home To work in said wonderful shop.
Not so.
I feel your pain Bro. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

I think I must be extraordinarily lucky. My partner encourages my shop time. Not because she wants rid of me but because she knows it's importance to my mental health.

Back