Ways To Do A Lathe Operation With A Mill?

I may be missing something here, but why would you need a rotary table for this work?? If you can figure out how to mount the pipe on the rotary table, then you can just as easily mount it on the mill table. What am I missing? JR49
Just another way of doing it, using a rotary table and an end mill. It would actually be somewhat simpler, as there would no need to accurately center the pipe to the spindle and creeping up on the final dimension would be easy, by moving the x or y axis instead of adjusting the boring head.

Last edited:
I at one time had an atlas lathe and mill. the 4 jaw chuck fit both pieces of machinery. I mounted the chuck on the mill and chucked up the part. putting a tool bit in the vice and machined it that way do you have a small chuck that you can mount on your mill? if not maybe you can figure out how to mount it on mill spindle and use the mill as a lathe. bill

I used one of those cheap boring heads with a cheap boring bar to bore the end of a hydraulic cylinder for my skid steer and it worked great but I found the adjuster on the boring head to be sloppy and difficult to set precisely. In my case it didn't really matter. I just needed a round hole, since the original was worn oblong, then I could make a bushing or pin the exact size I needed. Here's a pic of the setup on the mill drill.

I can't recall the exact size but the hole was about 1 1/2" maybe a little bigger.

upload_2016-10-7_20-22-25.png

Here's a close up.

upload_2016-10-7_20-24-30.png

Back