Ways To Do A Lathe Operation With A Mill?

if you were to hold the pipe in a 3 jaw chuck or otherwise on the table

you could make your own boring head easily that can could punch the hole you need
take a disc smaller than the diameter but thick enough to house a toolbit
make a center point in the disc and drill/tap & use a suitable stub arbor (3/8,1/2,3/4???) to be held in a collet.
drill in perpendicular to the drive axis for a suitable toolbit and make provision for set screws to hold the tool bit.
the idea is best expressed as it's kinda like a flycutter really, but without the downward angle-
a flycutter may be even be able to be adapted for your needs, now that i think about it.
you may need to take test cuts and do a bunch of measuring , but it can be done! :grin:
I've done similar operations with a flycutter, though I didn't have as much material to remove as Ryan does. Tedious, but doable.

Ryan, do you have a rotary table?

I'm looking for a set just like that in a 12mm size. Or even just the short one. Seems to all be 3/8" or 1/2".

Check out CDCOTOOLS.com they have a lot of boring heads and bars at reasonable prices Ryan.
Mark S.

I don't have a rotary table. I was looking at this one: http://r.ebay.com/IpTtjM

What would be the ideal cutting tool to use with that?

I may go the boring head route. Are these the right cutters?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161083407033

The boring head will work but a shorter bar might be better of your situation, generally you want to use the shortest, thickest bar that will do the job. I guess you could cut one of the supplied bars shorter...

Not sure about that rotary table, looks like it might be crappy... also, I wouldn't go for a tilting one, it will only be less accurate and rigid for the horizontal and vertical work that you'll need it for 99% of the time. There are other, better, ways to angle it should the need arise.

I may be missing something here, but why would you need a rotary table for this work?? If you can figure out how to mount the pipe on the rotary table, then you can just as easily mount it on the mill table. What am I missing? JR49

Back