Way Off Topic: Sleep Apnea and Obesity

I was told you can now take the sleep test at home is that correct? They give you a devise similar to a fit bit that you sleep with and it automatically gets sent to the doctor. My problem is finding time to do the sleep test. Which I’d get crappy sleep anyways just because I’m not at home in my bed. I wake up about every two hours at night. Find myself getting a snack or a pee. Been doing it for 10-15yrs. Feel good when I wake but it really annoying waking up. I don’t snore and I don’t think I have any problems with breathing.

I had my sleep study at home. As I recall, they attached a clip to my pointer finger. These are the clips that measure pulse, oxygen saturation, etc.

Because I was a DOT-related patient, that clip was permanently attached to a non-removable wrist bracelet.

I don’t remember if I wore the CPAP mask for the sleep test.

I have caught a huge break here. I *was* able to wear the nose mask for 10 hours on the first night. I had the full face mask for almost 4 years, & I would *always* take off the mask if I had logged my DOT-mandated 4 hour period that night.

I don’t love the nose mask, but once I am asleep everything is fine.

Regarding ResMed, I was wrong that the “mask type adjustment” is made online. This adjustment is made on the machine. I called ResMed as soon as they were open. The ResMed lady helped me make the adjustment over the phone, & then I went back to sleep for 4 hours.

Regarding the diet, I lost 5.2 lbs in the first 1-1/2 days. I had just had 6 days of “vacation eating”, & everybody loses a bunch of weight at first on a diet.

I would not allow myself to lose more than 2-3 lbs./week once the honeymoon period is over.

Regarding the stress (which I think is a huge issue in all of this), I am going to contact my boss today and ask for 60 hour workweeks moving forward.

I am very high on the seniority list so I can choose what jobs to do. I have a permanent bid on an absolutely beautiful country route which is 11 hours/day. The last few months, I have chosen to work in the building instead. The “inside” jobs (clerk, carwash, air shuttle driver) are only 40 hrs./week (no overtime!).

When I am doing my route, I can choose to add 45-60 minutes on the front end making the Early AM deliveries. One would choose this in order to pick up OT hours.

Whether I am doing my route or working in the building, I can choose to work zero, one or two Saturday shifts. There was a period where I worked both Saturday shifts for a whole year. That was a bit much.

If I were to grab as many hours as possible, I believe this would slay the Stress Dragon in one fell swoop. The reason for this is because I almost always get stressed out while in the company of my wife. This may be due to my behavior, but regardless of the reason, the stress level is high enough to cause physical problems.

My wife & I live with our son, our daughter, 2 grandsons, her Mom, & a lot of dogs so she has plenty of company while I am at work.

Last edited:
speaking as another "over 50" 5' 9" male, getting that weight off is going to do you a world of good.

I usually run 220-225 and I'm waaaay too heavy. I'm a "mesomorph" body type so I'm only ever going to be so small. 195-200 is my "good' zone. I can't even imagine how I would feel with another 60-70 lbs on top of that, probably not good at all.

I have managed to get down to the 170-180 range before (which is where the "charts" say I should be) but I look like I'm dying at those weights. Family actually begins to worry about me when I was that light.

But when I get down to 195, its like I'm a different person. My broken back hurts less, my messed up knees suffer less and I just generally feel better.

I also snore less or not at all.

Knocks the type II back into the acceptable range (doc wants me on ozempic now that insulin, metformin and januvia are loosing effect).

Weight, it's a killer in more than one way.

speaking as another "over 50" 5' 9" male, getting that weight off is going to do you a world of good.

I usually run 220-225 and I'm waaaay too heavy. I'm a "mesomorph" body type so I'm only ever going to be so small. 195-200 is my "good' zone. I can't even imagine how I would feel with another 60-70 lbs on top of that, probably not good at all.

I have managed to get down to the 170-180 range before (which is where the "charts" say I should be) but I look like I'm dying at those weights. Family actually begins to worry about me when I was that light.

But when I get down to 195, its like I'm a different person. My broken back hurts less, my messed up knees suffer less and I just generally feel better.

I also snore less or not at all.

Knocks the type II back into the acceptable range (doc wants me on ozempic now that insulin, metformin and januvia are loosing effect).

Weight, it's a killer in more than one way.

Obesity is literally a killer.

Obesity is literally a killer.
Yessir.

But it's not an obvious one. It's like a ninja assassin.

It sneaks up on you over the years and before you even realize it's got you in it's sights, it's too late. Or at least incredibly hard to reverse and keep it off....

Update:

I had a quick phone conversation with my boss, & I told him that I needed to work all of the hours available to me (it will be about 70 paid hours/week). He said okay.

After hanging up the phone, I was instantly relieved. Now I feel no stress for the first time in weeks knowing that I will be away from home most of the time Mon-Sat. Spending long days on Sundays in the shop, I will spend very little waking hours in the toxic environment.

I must either really love my job (I do) or not think much of being in the house (poison).

Update:

I had a quick phone conversation with my boss, & I told him that I needed to work all of the hours available to me (it will be about 70 paid hours/week). He said okay.

After hanging up the phone, I was instantly relieved. Now I feel no stress for the first time in weeks knowing that I will be away from home most of the time Mon-Sat. Spending long days on Sundays in the shop, I will spend very little waking hours in the toxic environment.

I must either really love my job (I do) or not think much of being in the house (poison).
I'll add this comment.
The day my wife served me with divorce papers was one of the best days of my life.

I'll add this comment.
The day my wife served me with divorce papers was one of the best days of my life.

I can imagine! You can’t put a price on peace or freedom.

My Dad is 80 years old & lives about 4 minutes away. Sometimes I see him every day, & we are very close. I take after him in many ways (personality-wise).

Him & I had our first marriages (to our high school sweethearts) end in divorce, & we both remarried quickly.

He & I had a very long private talk about my (and his, which is AFib) health situation today. He is 100% against a very expensive divorce; he always says the same thing: “That is not an option”.

On the assumption that he is more wise than myself, I am staying married this time mostly due to his advice. I get along nicely with the other 5 people in our house (as does my wife).

I am moving forward assuming that *I* am mostly the problem why my wife & I argue so much. Most of our problems have arisen from me choosing to spend my time & money on my hobbies, rather than spending my time & money on spending time with my wife, kids & grandkids.

To her, I come across as very selfish & boring. Like many of you guys, I prefer to spend my time alone with tools & projects. I can see that this is not fun for her.

Last edited:
Back