Way Off Topic: Sleep Apnea and Obesity

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am so sorry to be so off topic, but unfortunately I am desperate: I’m tired all the time! I am 56 years old, 5’ 9” and I weigh 292 lbs. so it is no wonder that I have issues.

Bottom line: I am **highly motivated to lose weight** in order to cure my sleep apnea, this after a pretty scary interaction with my full face CPAP mask which has brought some panic and claustrophobia into my life.

I am picking up a nose mask today. I think that I need to make that work, as CPAP is a very highly effective treatment for sleep apnea.

I have done a great deal of online research, and I am receiving care from Kaiser. Weight loss will usually cause Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) to go away, and 84% of people with sleep apnea have the OSA variety.

Why would I post this issue on a hobby machinist forum? I wonder ***what experiences you guys know of pertaining to being tired all the time***.

@Janderso mentioned that he got past sleep apnea with weight loss & exercise.

By the way, the UPPP surgery to treat sleep apnea looks to be pretty darn scary!

Last edited:
Maybe it is normal to be tired all the time when you are older?

From what little I have seen of the world, I think that [being overweight] and [feeling tired all the time] are directly correlated.

I would say the same about [age] and [feeling tired all the time].

Take somebody who is not overweight, strap 25-150 lbs. of weight around their body, and I think that they would slow down a bit!

From what little I have seen of the world, I think that [being overweight] and [feeling tired all the time] are directly correlated.

I would say the same about [age] and [feeling tired all the time].

Take somebody who is not overweight, strap 25-150 lbs. of weight around their body, and I think that they would slow down a bit!
I quite agree.

My wife struggles with weight and low energy. She has joint problems caused by EDS, so exercising is quite limited. She has had very good results from being on a managed Atkins style diet; But cautions are in order - many weight loss clinics do transition diets poorly. In a cynical world, it is not in their best (selfish?) interests to do so...

Frankly losing weight is far easier than keeping it off... Monitored diets can be expensive, but they work under true professional care.

I don't know if Kaiser supports the use of Ozempic, but a co-worker who as struggled with obesity their whole life was put on it. What a dramatic change. 100+lbs loss over the last year. My co-worker stressed it was the tool that helped them, but they have also spent the last year on lifestyle changes both psychological and physical.

Last edited:
Back