Warmed over Dogmeat

I use napkin aided drafting, and rookie aided machining.
I am with you there. Sometimes I get quite far into making something, with it all just in my head. Then when I really do need to start writing stuff down, it ends up anywhere. Have you ever had to wipe "sharpie sums" off the flat bit under the toolpost, or salvage the piece of cardboard box lid with the precious ballpoint sketch that somehow made it to the floor?

if you have a DRO on the carriage, a tool post mounted drill chuck would solve all those problems :)

I prefer the support offered when drilling from behind, as well as the feel. If the tailstock does slip it wouldn't be bad. If the toolpost turns with a drill in the work stuff is going to get weird or bad. I also had the scale and material on hand so time was my only investment. I do this for experience, so I'm calling it a free learning project. If I went the toolpost direction I would need to buy the toolholder/chuck or a chuck, and materials to build one. If I come across the materials, I might build one some day. It would replace the toolpost, and the chuck would be in the middle of the block that replaces it so it would bear straight back on the carriage when drilling. For now this will get me past the deep drilling stage of my current project and expand the ready capabilities of my scale. One of these days I'm liable to fit it to the compound, and possibly the tailstock in a more common fashion. Heck before I'm done I'll have to refer to pics here to remember what bracket does what.

Back