Wards/logan 200 Thread Dial

There is no way that you can swing the thread dial past the lead screw if everything is correct. You either have the wrong thread dial or something is assembled incorrectly. What happens when you engage the half nuts? Does the lead screw raise up?

I reinstalled the thread dial and engaged it and the dial started moving. When I engaged the carriage the dial stopped moving and the carriage moved without any problems. I then pushed the thread dial into the lead screw and turned the lathe on. The result was the thread dial climbing on top of the lead screw. The carriage seems to be tight enough to the ways although I can see that it looks to be a gap. I have a Thread Dial on the way here from Illinois. I pulled the carriage assembly off the lathe today, but have not had the opportunity to see what may be wrong. I believe I will find it to be something I did not assemble correctly along with the wrong dial. I downloaded a manual from the site a few minutes ago to look at the parts breakdown for some assembly help.

As much as the thread dial needs to move down. There may be enough room to drill and tap a new hole for mounting the thread dial into the correct position.

keep at it bama, you'll get there....and have a useful machine afterwards.

I reinstalled the thread dial and engaged it and the dial started moving. When I engaged the carriage the dial stopped moving and the carriage moved without any problems.

So far, so good!

I then pushed the thread dial into the lead screw and turned the lathe on. The result was the thread dial climbing on top of the lead screw.

Wait ...what? o_O
What did I miss?

Step 1 sounded okay, but step 2 ... no so much!

Is it possible that the thread dial is from a different lathe?
If the gear on it was a different tooth count than the half-nut it would attempt to turn at a different rate than the carriage and cause issues.
The length may confirm it.

-brino

Last edited:
The more I fix the more I find other stuff to fix or be confused about. I finally got my motor wired so I have forward and reverse by flipping a switch with a separate on off switch. While checking things out a little more I installed the "thread dial". Something is wrong because it wants to climb over the "lead screw" and that is not a good thing at all. The dial I have is approximately 3 5/16" in total length. It has sixteen teeth, but the teeth seem too narrow for the lead screw threads. Is this the correct "thread dial" for my machine or should it be longer so it doesn't "climb" on top of the lead screw? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I just went out and made a quick measurement. That looks like it would fit my Logan 400.

Hopefully within a few days I will get the different, and correct maybe, thread dial. In the mean time I will look for other possible causes.

Gotta love these old machines. Did that dial come with the lathe or bought later? Never know what a prior owner did or had in mind. My Logan 9B (9") didn't have a thread dial, so I picked up and tried an Atlas thread dial but it didn't fit. I ended up getting the right Logan dial on eBay, but the Atlas dial is still in the tooling drawer for that lathe. I figure that if somehow the Logan dial gets misplaced, some future owner will be stumped trying to figure out how to make the Atlas dial fit the lathe.

Hang in there, the 200 is a sweet little machine when all set up and running properly. And you'll know it inside and out.

Gotta love these old machines. Did that dial come with the lathe or bought later? Never know what a prior owner did or had in mind. My Logan 9B (9") didn't have a thread dial, so I picked up and tried an Atlas thread dial but it didn't fit. I ended up getting the right Logan dial on eBay, but the Atlas dial is still in the tooling drawer for that lathe. I figure that if somehow the Logan dial gets misplaced, some future owner will be stumped trying to figure out how to make the Atlas dial fit the lathe.

Hang in there, the 200 is a sweet little machine when all set up and running properly. And you'll know it inside and out.

The dial was on the machine when I got it. I did not try it when I first saw the lathe. The guy I got it from probably knew about as much about a lathe as I did then. Thankfully I am slowly learning. Someone had mentioned tapping a hole and remounting the dial. Rather than modifying the housing I would make a bracket that mounted to the housing and mount the dial at the other end of the bracket to lower the dial on the lead screw. If that didn't work my housing would still be original.

Bama, the thread chasing dial that you have there is definitely not the correct one for a Logan 200. The teeth of the gear on a correct thread chasing dial would engage the front of the lead screw rather than the top of it. Rich's photo is a perfect example.

Bama, the thread chasing dial that you have there is definitely not the correct one for a Logan 200. The teeth of the gear on a correct thread chasing dial would engage the front of the lead screw rather than the top of it. Rich's photo is a perfect example.
I agree with everything you said. I bought one from a guy on the yahoo site and it should be here Tuesday. I found a couple of things I had not done correctly so I fixed those. The lathe seems to be working as it should now. That makes me very happy. I am really looking forward to testing the new dial.

I GOT MY THREAD DIAL TODAY! The gear rests just where it should, I think. Now for a question. I push and lock the dial to the lead screw, I engage the lead screw and the dial turns. When I engage the half nut the carriage travels, but the dial stops turning. Is this normal?

Back