Wards/logan 200 Thread Dial

I GOT MY THREAD DIAL TODAY! The gear rests just where it should, I think. Now for a question. I push and lock the dial to the lead screw, I engage the lead screw and the dial turns. When I engage the half nut the carriage travels, but the dial stops turning. Is this normal?
That is exactly what should happen.

I GOT MY THREAD DIAL TODAY! The gear rests just where it should, I think. Now for a question. I push and lock the dial to the lead screw, I engage the lead screw and the dial turns. When I engage the half nut the carriage travels, but the dial stops turning. Is this normal?
Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this normal

Yes, that's perfect.
The idea is to engage it at exactly the right number (or set of numbers) based on the screw thread you are cutting.
Personally I never remember the rules about any even number for a certain thread(or was it odd numbered?), except for February that has 28...yada..yada

I just use the exact same number every time I start a pass that I used for the first pass.
If I remembered that stuff I'd likely forget my wife's birthday, then I'd really be in trouble!

-brino

Yup, that's how they're sposed to work. The dial is keeping up with the lead screw, so not turning. Wonder what that former dial was from?

I think its normal. That's what my 10" Logan/MW does. I'm a newbie to machining and have learned a ton on this site. One thing learned was Never run the motor in reverse if it will make the chuck reverse direction as well. On our lathes the chuck is just threaded onto the spindle and putting it in reverse can/will cause the spindle to dismount and create mayhem wherever it chooses to go.
If you want to change the direction of the carriage feed the gear shift on the left end (as you face to operate it) has three positions--forward, neutral, reverse. Moving that gear shift will change the direction of carriage travel as well as the direction of the power cross feed if your lathe has that feature.
Jerry

Jerry, you can absolutely run a lathe with a threaded spindle in reverse. You just have to use common sense. You probably don't want to do interrupted cuts in reverse. If you really felt apprehensive about it you could set it up with a live center in your tailstock to keep the chuck from coming off.

Back