Wards/logan 200 Tailstock

There's a rubber washer (#20) that's holding that in. You could also try removing the screw retainer (#16) and pull the screw out that way. upload_2016-1-22_10-21-9.png
upload_2016-1-22_10-21-9.png

There were two bushings, sleeves, what ever you would like to call them in the tailstock spindle. I finally got them out, one at a time. I was able to run a tap in and pull the bushing out, but only one came out. I did some careful drilling and cutting with a dremel and got the second one out. The MT2 live center fits good and everything is good to go with the spindle. I quit!

Until the next thing.

Patience and persistence pay off - congrats! I know exactly how you feel. Mine was one thing after another, some mechanical, had to make some parts and had to buy $ome. Hang in there, you'll be happy with the end results.

John

Cool, but now you will need an adapter to use that steady rest thingy that fit into the sleeve in your tailstock. Looks like maybe the prior owner did a lot of something and that tool was necessary for whatever operation it was. Split adapter is unusual? I would think maybe innovated by necessity, get 'er done tooling.

Cool, but now you will need an adapter to use that steady rest thingy that fit into the sleeve in your tailstock. Looks like maybe the prior owner did a lot of something and that tool was necessary for whatever operation it was. Split adapter is unusual? I would think maybe innovated by necessity, get 'er done tooling.
You are right about the speciality tooling and coming up with the spacers to accomidate the tool. The PO turned armatures with the lathe and that tool may have been the only one he found to do the job. Making do with what you have used to be the American way. I love ingenuity! I am now preparing to get started refurbing my Logan 1825. I am looking forward to that task.

Thank each one of you for your help and guidance. It is needed and appreciated.

Make sure to post pictures of your progress, I enjoy seeing these old machines get put back together and the solutions people come up to solve issues

Back