Wards/logan 200 Tailstock

bama7

Registered
Registered
Sorry, I turned around again. This time I am in need of info on the tail stock. After reading the manual I saw where my lathe uses an MT2 taper in the tail stock. I happened to have one so I went to install it, but it would not fit. Not even close. It appears to me someone installed a bushing in the tail stock to accommodate a smaller diameter live center. It looks to be pressed about 1" into the spindle. Can someone please confirm that by measuring their tail stock id or with pictures of the tail stock spindle opening. Thank you all once again.

TAILSTOCK QUIL 001.JPG TAILSTOCK QUIL 003.JPG TAILSTOCK QUIL 002.JPG

Thanks for the table. It has got to be a bushing.

Couldn't view your pics " to long to get full size" but it sounds like somthing is in there that shouldn't be

Couldn't view your pics " to long to get full size" but it sounds like somthing is in there that shouldn't be

You may be able to look at the first thumbnail and see what appears to be two brass or copper bushings installed one inside the other at the front of the tail stock spindle.

Sorry, I turned around again. This time I am in need of info on the tail stock. After reading the manual I saw where my lathe uses an MT2 taper in the tail stock. I happened to have one so I went to install it, but it would not fit. Not even close. It appears to me someone installed a bushing in the tail stock to accommodate a smaller diameter live center. It looks to be pressed about 1" into the spindle. Can someone please confirm that by measuring their tail stock id or with pictures of the tail stock spindle opening. Thank you all once again.

Could you provide a few more pictures? Show the whole tailstock barrel, show us the tailstock. Something really doesn't see to add up. Most of the tailstock barrels I have seen do not have the key way going right to the outer end. I agree it looks like a bushing in there, but even the paint colour matches up (so it has been in there since before its' last paint job. Is the paint original?). I'm not saying you don't know which end is which - it is just that something does not seem right ???

What is the history of this machine? Did you get any tooling that would indicate something special was done with the tailstock?
I don't understand why someone would go to a lot of effort to modify a tailstock barrel to "accomodate a smaller diameter live center" and make it really difficult to use other tailstock tools??? Was this somesort of a special application lathe? If the previous owner wanted a "smaller diameter live center" I'd think they would just go buy one (afterall it is an MT2 taper - easy to get quite a range to TS tools). Something does not make sense with that arrangement and the information you have provided.

Let us know what you discover.

Chipper5783, thanks for looking at my problem. The paint is all new. Anything on the spindle would be over spray. The PO's son said the lathe was used to turn armatures. The tool installed in the spindle must have held one end of the armature to allow it to spin. Before I started this project I would not know the difference in any of the tapers. My thought is to drill out the bushing if I cannot get a "puller" that would work.

TAILSTOCK SPINDLE 009.JPG TAILSTOCK SPINDLE 010.JPG TAILSTOCK SPINDLE 004.JPG TAILSTOCK SPINDLE 007.JPG

I always try to figure out a gentle approach before getting too aggresive. Drilling (or boring) that bushing out puts cutting tools up close to the drive taper. You want to take good care of that #2MT that is supposed to be inside there. Try to figure out a puller. I make all sorts of special purpose sleeves / washers / nuts for pulling bushings. Can you chill that (dry ice, liquid N2, cold spray) the bushing should shrink more than the steel when cooled.

You may be able to remove the screw, get a long pin punch or rod through the screw hole, and knock the bushing out - have you tried that?

John

You may be able to remove the screw, get a long pin punch or rod through the screw hole, and knock the bushing out - have you tried that?

John
The screw tightens when it gets close to the end. I am not sure why, but maybe something, nylon, to keep it from backing out. I was in hopes of doing it that way at first myself. I put the spindle in the freezer last night. If the bushing does not want to come out easily I may just tap the bushing and make some type of puller.

Back