WANTED: Splash shield for Powermatic

Jerry,

The top of the backsplash is about 1" higher than the top of the headstock. If you look right at the left edge of the photograph, you can see a straight line running toward the camera at a slight angle to perpendicular to the backsplash. That is the right edge of the top part of a 2-piece coolant splash shield that I threw together years ago and never made look nice. Still attached to the top shelf with the same C-clamp. The left end looks like the right one is except that the bottom of the right end is bent in at an angle to match the lip across the right end of the drip pan. Whereas the bottom of the left end is bent in at 90 deg. to sit flat on the bottom of the pan. And the left end has a right angle tab welded to it, with a hole for a bolt through it and into a tapped hole in the back of the headstock. There is a 1/8" thick rubber washer sandwiched between the tab and the headstock and another between the tab and a flat washer under the bolt head.

Robert D.

Well, I finished painting and installing a splash guard. Now to make some tool holders and attach dro readout. Finished machining adapter plate for a 4 jaw and starting bearing replacements. It looks like I'll be through tomorrow. Hope so!

image.jpg

Jerry,

Looks great!

One thing that I forgot to warn you about but I think that you are OK. The rear vertical part of the splash guard needs to be far enough back that you can run the cross slide all the way to the rear. But it looks like you are OK with that.

About 30 years after I built mine, I discovered that Atlas had built two different full length cross slides. One just has T-slots and I presume was intended for horizontal boring work It isn't actually shown in any of their catalogs from the 30's, 40's or 50's. The other is a cross slide double turret, 4-way on the front and single on the rear. I have the latter. My point is that they are about 1/2" too long to install from the rear because they hit the back splash before they clear the rear end of the dovetail. I have to remove the cross feed screw bearing and install the turret slide from the front.

Robert D.

Your setup looks great! All the paint matches and everything is clean. The splash guard looks factory! Some day I may get there... God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Oh, and Robert, yeah I measured it all and made sure everything would work. The back is even with the back edge of the lathe stand. The front left edge or side comes to the headstock and is bolted to the head stock. I used spacers where it attaches to the headstock so the top could still open. It's made of 16 guage cold rolled steel. With the lip folded down on the top edge, it made a very sturdy shelf. I found that Krylon's Gold Rush Metallic paint is a very close match and used that.

Back