WANTED: Splash shield for Powermatic

Happycamper

Active User
Registered
Splash shield for Powermatic

Anyone have a rear splash shield for a Logan Powermatic they want to part with? Made it! See pic below.

Last edited:
camper,

I don't have one, but if you are seriously looking, repeat your request in Classifieds and/or in the Wanted forum at the bottom of the list of fora.

Robert D.

Anyone have a rear splash shield for a Logan Powermatic they want to part with?

I understand the desire to keep it all original.
I bolted a small sheet of aluminum to the chip tray.
In addition to keeping the wall cleaner I don't have to seep behind my little 10" Powermatic anymore.

Daryl
MN

Thanks Robert. I thought I'd try the logan site first. I posted on the "want" forum and we'll see what happens. If I can't find an original then I plan to make one. Can't make my mind up whether to make it out of metal or Lexan.

I have been looking at PM lathes for years, saved most of the photos I ran across. None of them show a splash shield. Are you sure they even offered them?

I stand corrected. I see them in the sales brochure. Never seen one in the wild.

I used to have a Lexan, or whatever kind of plastic it was, on my 17 inch Summit. Until I flung a hub through it. The current one is metal.

Camper,

I would (and did) use steel on the back of my Atlas. 33 years and going strong. I can recall at least two incidents that would have broken a Lexan one. Plus I had the machine shop that built it for me fold the top edge down into a 4" wide shelf into which I cut an assortment of holes. There or in a row of steel L-shaped hangers I store all of my drill chucks, tapping heads, chuck keys, etc. And have a mister mounted.

Robert D.

Robert, that was exactly what I was thinking of doing. Making it with a top shelve. On my current lathe I have a shelve at the back that I made with cubby holes for my chucks, centers, cutters etc. It's actually two shelves and I keep all my cutters lined up on the top shelve. QCTP...... You can't beat 'em.

Jerry H.

Camper,

I don't have any very good photos of the back splash that I had made. I did find the one below. Unfortunately, the part farther back than the QCTP is slightly out of focus and you cannot see the bend line that is maybe 7" above the drip pan. The whole thing attaches to the bent lip around the drip pan, so the bottom of it is bent at about a 45 deg. angle then goes vertical. Most of the surface is farther back than the rear lip of the pan, to clear the cross slide chip guard when the cross slide is run all the way to the rear.

Not visible in this photo is that the left end comes forward (like the right end) and connects to the headstock. So nothing can get thrown behind the headstock.

FWIW, the white specs visible on the carriage are aluminum dust (not corrosion) that I should have brushed off before taking the photos. The photo was actually taken to show someone how to correctly mount a QCTP.

Robert D.

Turning1.JPG

That's what I am thinking of having made. How tall is it? As tall as the top of the headstock or taller?

Jerry H.

Back