Want to see pictures of your benchtop lathe stand

Here's mine, 1-1/2 frame braced with 1/2 tube with a 3/16 top. I cut down a 10 drawer card file for the side drawers and built the plywood center 2.

The lathe sits on a 2-1/2" tall pedestal under the headstock (2" tube capped with 1/2 plate) and a pair of 10 x 10 x 3/4 plates under the tailstock. The lower welded plate is tapped for 4) 3/8" jacking bolts and 2) 1/2" hold down bolts. The head is bolted down hard. I have a ton of adjustment room on the far end, up and down, fore and aft as well as the ability to "bow the bed if needed.

The 6" casters are welded to 1/4" plate with registration pins to locate the back edge. I lift it with a modified trailer jack to install them.

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_0964.jpeg

This as far as I got last week before breaking my ankle.
NlhNiRrl.jpg

The previous owner of my place built a heated four car garage with a huge bench that went across the back wall and 3/4 of the way along the west wall. The 9" Metalcraft lathe was a perfect fit in this one open spot.
Once I'm ambulatory again, I plan to fit some more 2x6 bracing beneath the lathe, though it's probably overkill. Then fit a couple short file cabinets under it for tooling storage. Maybe snatch one of my wife's' old cookie sheets for a chip tray.
The 'How To Run A Lathe' book was mine from high school 50+ years ago. I stuck it on the lathe so I wouldn't spend weeks looking for it again.

Back