Want to see pictures of your benchtop lathe stand

Repurposed medical ultrasound cabinet. Bought from a surplus store.

Started like this:

fr_28.jpg

fr_29.jpg

Modified to this:

fr_30.jpg

fr_34.jpg

fr_60.jpg

With the restored Atlas TH42 mounted:

fr_93.jpg

Works for me.

It's a heavy bugger (all 1/8" tube and plate steel) and the medical grade casters make moving it around smooth and easy. Full ball bearing wheels and some kind of rubber product that is solid enough not to deform yet soft enough that it grips whatever floor surface they’re on like they’ve been krazy glued in place.

They're also strong enough that they don't move or even wiggle when locked. In fact, when they’re locked, I’m pretty sure you’d have to hook it up to the truck and take a run at it to get it to move. They’re that solid when locked. Guess having medical equipment jerk or move around when in use is a bad idea. Medical grade stuff just doesn't mess around.

Lots of options out there, you just have to keep your eyes open and dig around in those "not so common" places....

Last edited:
You folks have some very nice setups. I'm using a Menards Masterforce steel weld table with a base and chest of drawers I made up for a new Grizzly G4000 9x19 on order. Height of table is 36" above the floor, this is load rated for 1,000 lbs.
Lathe Bench 1.jpg
Lathe Bench 2.jpg

Last edited:
Old thread but figured I'd share either way.
Simply built from 2x4's with plywood ontop, added some steel plates underneath the feet to spread the load.
Basic plywood/MDF drawers underneath. Cheap, customizeable etc.
IMG_5979.JPGIMG_5967.JPG

281187F9-02A1-4085-BB2D-EDD76BA7E8CC.jpeg
F36FE45E-7D01-4083-A695-8DE5ECAB8E2E.jpeg

I replaced the casters to bring it down a good two inches.

9D6AF427-2CF0-4DC6-991D-2CE208859BA2.jpeg

Still a little bit too tall for my liking. My plan is to move the new leveling casters to the side with a bracket. That should bring it down an additional 3”.

5F74D597-9307-43C8-B7CF-646AFFE59E1B.jpeg

This is my solution:

An old battleship desk, free from an estate sale, with an piece of "butcherblock" top, which is really 2"MDF with a veneer. No worries thought as the table still has a steel underlayment to hold everything in place. The headstock is tied into the the mounts for the butcher block.

Back