Want to learn Oxy/acetylene welding

This is great guys, thanks for all the responses. I wont be able to get to my lws till early next week, so im looking to have some info before i walk.

So lets talk tank sizes. Im probably going to learn on 1/8" mild steel. After i get a setup adjusted for that, how much of a tank should i have so that i can get learn with out having to run for a fill up everyday.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Well, had a chat with my lws. He said that i have a nice torch setup (hes a smith fan), but because i dont have gauges i should just buy a package victor deal that includes everything but the hose and tank.

I think I'd rather find some gauges and hose, and go back for tanks. Also, he rents and doesn't sell. He said he doesn't fill onsite so buying a tank wouldn't make sense becausee e of the long wait of sending it out to get filled.

So, regulators. Who's good and what size do i want? I see smith has a ton of options from light to heavy duty, and lots of specialty ones also. Do i want or need 2 stage regulators?

Thanks again guys

I got the medium duty victor set , and 120cf bottles I bought from Airgas 20+yrs ago.
When trading bottles for full ones make sure they don't give you back company lease bottles that's what happened to me over the years I didn't know,and now they say I have to buy them again :mad:. The ring on the top should not have the company name stamped into them on owner bottles.

Between my 2 son's shops and my shop, we have 5 Smith sets. The oldest, I bought new in 1968. I have had 1 regulator rebuilt once, none of the others have needed anything. There have been a few O rings needed for the oldest tips, but the LWS had them available for a few $. Newer Smith torches are stamped with "lifetime warrantee", and according to the LWS, Smith does stand behind that warrantee. I think Smith was recently bought by Miller, but they continued the Smith product line. I have nothing against Victor, but I just liked the "feel" of the Smith torches better. The only problems we have had are when some small spider makes a mud nest in the center hole of the cutting torch. I need to be more careful to store them in an insect proof box. We have 3 farm shops, so all of our equipment is stored in barn shops. In all 3 shops, we are using LP and Oxygen as being much cheaper for the cutting and bending and heating we do on equipment maintenance. If you are replacing welding hose, prefer the shorter 25 ft length, as you do not waste as much gas on start up and shut down. Most twin hose is now rated for LP and acetylene gasses, check that when you buy hose.

Once you get used to having and using the oxy/gas setup, you probably will never want to part with it.

Paul in MN

If you have a Smith package is it a setup for acetylene or propane? They make both but really pushed on their propane units a few years back so make sure you have the torch setup for acetylene. The fuel regulator needs to be for propane if you have the propane torch. With that said, Victor has been last word for decades but Smith and Harris (Harris is a Lincoln subsidiary) have quality regulators too. If you are choosing acetylene and plan on using the rosebud, make sure you have a tank large enough because you need the volume to run the rosebud and a large cutting torch. There's specific reasons acetylene tanks are filled to 200 psi, so follow the safety rules that relate to acetylene.

Become familiar with the proper flame to use with the different metals you are welding on. There's oxidizing, neutral and carburizing flames and they have specific purposes. There's no carburizing flame with the other fuel gases, only when using acetylene.

Rustrp,

Thanks for your input.

According to my LWS a few years ago, when I bought a new Smith Medium duty set, the differences between the acetylene package and the LP package were the fuel gas regulators and the actual cutting tip. The LP regulator has a max delivery at 30 psi, while the Acetylene regulator has max of 15 psi. In my use of LP, I have never exceeded 15 psi because the size tips I use. Yes, some rosebud tips and big cutting tips require a higher pressure, but I have had no need for the big ones. So.... thinking that some day one of my grandsons might inherit my Smith torches, I bought the Acetylene package, plus the LP cutting tip. The max pressure to be delivered by acetylene should be 15 psi, as it can become unstable somewhere near 30 psi. (Unstable may mean BOOM!). So I bought the combination that satisfies my needs and will be safe for use with Acetylene, if that is desired.

I know that Oxy/LP does not give satisfactory heat for welding steel or aluminum, but I don't weld with gas. It is much faster forme to use the MIG or stick, and likely much cheaper than gas welding. Besides at my age, I am too shakey to control a gas torch making a weld puddle. But with both hands on the MIG torch or stick stinger, I can make acceptable repair welds. I am not speaking against gas welding, but am pointing out that there are other possible valuable uses for the Oxy/fuel torch set. To each their own. And knowing the safety precautions for the system one chooses to use is very IMPORTANT.

Paul in MN

I know that Oxy/LP does not give satisfactory heat for welding steel or aluminum, but I don't weld with gas.
I think the use of propane for welding in an oxy/fuel setup had more to do with the availability of acetylene in the early years. The BTU output for propane is more than enough for welding and propane is much preferred over acetylene for preheating when introducing carbon is unwanted, especially for non ferrous metals. I've used both setups but wasn't inclined to change to propane because I already had my acetylene outfit.

Biased, because this is what I learned on. The older Minnesota built Smith's stuff was top notch premium quality equipment. I'm not knocking Victor stuff at all (they've made plenty, so it must work well), but AW series, including AC309 cutting heads are so light and balanced in the hand. It's like a "sports torch" if such a thing existed. Miller is supporting most of the traditional Smith's lines, including a full selection of tips, but the "Airline" AW series torch bodies haven't been listed recently. Used prices are creeping up, so maybe they'll make a batch one of these days. I'm glad to see that Miller has saved the Smith's brand, I just hope they strive to preserve it's reputation.

I really want to stick with my smith set up because i have a cutting head with 10 tips. And 7 different welding heads. Plus a couple heating tips. I mean, to buy another brand torch and match what i have would be outside my price range.

So I'm going to put my package together individually. I've been looking at smith 30 100 540 oxy and 30 15 510 acetylene regulators, Goodyear o/a hose, and a new striker.

Last edited:
Back