Want to learn Oxy/acetylene welding

VaBob

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a large smith packed from cl for what i think is a great price. It had cutting and welding heads, and some rosebuds of different sizes thrown in. Also has a lot of new never used smith tips thrown in. I bought it with the purpose of learning o/a welding. But now here's the catch. I need everything that goes before the torch. Hoses, regulators, ect.

I was wondering what people suggest for a learning/starting setup? Should i stick with smith equipment for the regulators? Are there better and cheaper ones? What about tank sizes?

Thanks for your patience
Bob

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I really like OA! It was my gateway to TIG as it requires two hands.
Unfortunately the Acetylene gets very expensive.
I've no doubt that there are better welders on this forum than I am, or will ever be.
There are likely some good online how-to videos. And likely some which teach you dangerous techniques and inappropriate shortcuts.
I happen to be a Smith fan as that's what my mentor used.
I started with a new discount import set. Bad decision. Acetylene goes boom buying gages and hose which is good is worth the investment.
You might want to identify what your local LWS and local service center have parts for and will rebuild.
Flammables are not something to save money on.
Additionally look for a local mentor, perhaps your LWS will go through set up with you if you buy gages and cylinders.
Did you get tanks? Deciding if you will rent or buy is a dollar decision. Tank pressure checks should part of the contract.
You are gonna have a super good time! Please do it safely and check back here.

Daryl
MN

Take a few minutes and search "Acetylene Hazards" or similar. Acetylene is a very unstable entity and can be hazardous.
I won't elaborate here other than to say to use equipment that is in good shape and follow the guidelines. I just did some
searching on the web and found a lot of very useful information. Be safe out there.

I completely understand how dangerous it is and I'm going into this with caution and respect for the equipment. Also, im the safety coordinator for 2 plants at my job. It'd be really embarrassing to get injured trying to learn this skill.

Im mainly looking to see what brands people use and trust. Im not going to by the $40 import package deal from fleabay, or the $50 boat anchors from 1945. Looking for new or slightly used brand name equipment.

As far as buy vs rent tanks. I've read a kit of opinions either way. This is definitely something ill discuss at my lws.

Im sure ill have lots fun with it and learn a new skill that many see as obsolete. That's half the reason i want to learn right there.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

All my OA stuff is Victor , they have served me well for 20+ years, the regulators can be rebuilt with new diafram

Go victor, new you can get the journeyman setup for medium duty and pay around 300.00. You will never regret it because, it will work every time no problems, you get hoses, regulators, cutting torches and some tips. Bring the gauges to the lws and they will make sure you have the correct connections...

Hth, have fun o and a is a fun way to weld

Rich

If you can gas weld, everything else will come easy. I learned as a young man taking a refrigeration repair course. Aluminum tubing can take awhile to get the hang of. One second it's there, the next it's gone.lol. I've had my Victor setup going on 40 yrs, never a hickup. Mike

No complaints with Victor. That's pretty much all I've ever ran and their performance has been exemplary.

I have had to have my Victor (O2) regulator rebuilt twice in 25 years--no complaints. O/A is how I first learned to weld--two hands and watch the puddle and a lot of practice and you can make O/A looks like a stick weld.:D

Victor regs are easy to rebuild, parts are reasonable, don't get no chi parts you'll be OK
Follow directions tho,

Back