W Pb Mo Bi Cu Fe Sn Zn Ti Al C Mg

Looks like indium, germanium, and gallium will be doable, right before gold...
Oh. I like the gallium idea. I find a mill I can use in a northern-clime winter. Open the garage door, and machine my 1x2x6 in the cold. (Maybe spray liquid nitrogen on it to keep cold while being machined? Maybe just ice water would be enough) Then I place on the mantle and remind my wife to keep the air conditioning on in the summer. If we forget, and it gets up to 86F, it turns into a puddle. Maybe leaking over to the aluminum bar and dissolving the bottom of that. While everything on the mantle is safe (and fun) to hold, I would have to make sure folks had their hands in an ice water bucket for a minute before handling the gallium for a minute. That does sound like fun. -Bill

Could work out some faux ones for the very expensive elements like gold, silver, platinum. Just to have in the collection for comparison.

Maybe hollow out copper cases and fill with lead to the exact weight including the weight of the plating. Solder closed and finish. Then have them plated.

Could be an interesting project in itself.
This would be an interesting project. I think it would not be possible to mimic any material that is extremal for the price. Meaning, to mimic platinum's density you'd have to have a material more dense, but cheaper, than platinum. There is none, so you can't fake platinum. Similarly, silver is the most conductive, so can't fake that. Tungsten is much cheaper than gold, and epsilon more dense (and unscrupulous people have done that swap) but it is much less electrically conductive, so it is easily identified as fake with a micro-ohm meter. Add in basic material properties like the speed of sound and stiffness (the molybdenum bar rings with a special high ting--something about its speed of sound and stiffness and density I guess), and thermal conductivity, magnetic permeability, and I think it is not possible to fake a material from knowledgeable investigators. Now, for the lay visitor to my living room, well, they just see grey rectangles. All interchangeable. When I insist they hold the magnesium and the tungsten they do get they are different. But for all I know maybe they think the magnesium is just a hollow box. A key to making the project fun would be to identify the engineering level of sophistication I am trying to spoof. (My mechanic once picked up a high-strength bolt and immediately said it was a fake--he could tell by it being too "cold." I figured out that real high-strength bolts are not pure steel and have a different coefficient of thermal conductivity and that experienced mechanics know what the real McCoys feel like.)

And, while I do like to think I have pretty good specimens, I am not really satisfied with my Tungsten. While way way dense, it is still about 5% shy of real W. And, is slightly magnetic. So, it has some iron in it. I continue to be on the look-out for a better, and affordable, sample. But the normal form factor of W is much smaller--bucking bars and such. And often has Fe mixed in. So, I choose to be happy with what I do have. And continue the hunt.

-Bill

Source some clear glass containers same size and collect the gaseous or liquid elements as well.

Hg, it used to be common but where to get it today?

Well, a quick amazon search popped up this

$160/half pound.

And ebay this

$165/pound

So, it seems to be fairly easily commercially available. My brothers and I had a great time playing with it as kids. Rubbing it hard into a penny made the penny real shinny--like a new dime. I wonder if I would have been smart if I hadn't done that.

I think the real question is how do you get rid of it if you have it. Everyone is pretty cautious about it now.

There are tens of thousands of pounds of depleted uranium around the world. It is so common that major militaries just use it as bullet material instead of lead (or tungsten). From https://www.eia.gov/uranium/marketing/ the price seems to be like $50 a pound, but not quite in metallic form. My guess is if you can find a seller, the price is going to be reasonable. But all I have found are little boutique players like https://luciteria.com/elements-for-sale/buy-uranium that want $800 for 10 grams. If a find a big chunk to machine down to a 1x2x6” sample for my collection I’ll try to remember to put on my N95 respirator while milling. A small amount is legal to own, but they don’t want me to own the 10 pounds I would like.

I think 238Pu is well north of $1 million a pound. Used to power spacecraft. Not the 239PU which is for bombs. And, to the best of my quick internet research, I don’t think I can get permission to own it. Even NASA is having a hard time finding it as no one seems be producing it and with only an 88 year half life, it’s use-it-or-lose-it. A 1x2x6” brick of it would produce like 2KW of heat—enough to keep the living room warm even on cold days.

Yeah, I have thought a bit about some of these exotics. Will stick with Antimony and Cobalt and Nickel as my next targets. Would love to find someone who can melt down Nickel—I have a source for affordable pellets. But a vacuum induction furnace shop on a hobbyist budget, well, I haven’t found.

My BIL used to machine depleted uranium. Really really nasty stuff, and a ***** to machine as well. The place he worked at, the DU was machined in a separate room on dedicated machines, and the DU was the only thing handled in that room. Not something I'd care to mess with.

Might not meet your intent with the project — depends how DIY you want, what your budget is, and how exacting you want to be — but American Elements should be able to provide what you need. They are kind of like the McMaster for material science. Like McMaster, they tend to have whatever you could want all retailed in one place, but aren’t particularly price competitive if you know the direct source for a particular material product

Back