W Pb Mo Bi Cu Fe Sn Zn Ti Al C Mg

Bill Kahn

Registered
Registered
I have finished a carbon bar now. So, I am up to 1”x2”x6” bars of 12 elements. If anyone has any ideas of how to source any more, please let me know (on a hobbyist budget).

Each element is fascinating.

W Tungsten Almost unbelievably heavy
Pb Lead Soft
Mo Molybdenum Rings nicely
Bi Bismuth Both soft and also highly frangible
Cu Copper Amazing color
Fe Iron Magnetic
Sn Tin Creeks when squeezed
Ti Titanium Sharf piles ignite and burn white hot
Zn Zinc Cheap
Al Aluminum Stays shiny
C Carbon Makes your fingers grey and dirty
Mg Magnesium Light

Oh, and much more too. Like, the Titanium’s low coefficient of thermal conductivity (19 times less than Copper) makes it sort of feel warm (even though it is all at room temperature). And, of course, Copper’s electrical conductivity makes a variety of Lenz’s Law demonstrations just wonderful. And Bismuth also creeks like Tin does. (I have 2/3rds of the Lead and Carbon bars coated in a very thin polycrylic (added 3 parts water)—the Lead so my wife wasn’t nervous about guests handling and the Carbon because the graphite does come off on your fingers. Coatings don’t really change the experience much, but the real material is on the remaining third for the adventurous.)

-Bill
57526257-4CAF-4F05-86B7-C8584E7EFC1B.jpeg

That's a pretty adventurous undertaking all by itself.

Nickel and antimony are the low-hanging fruit for your next couple of blocks!

Looks like indium, germanium, and gallium will be doable, right before gold...

The US Federal Reserve might be able to help you out with the Gold :)

Silver would cost you around $960 (EDITED)

Gold would cost you around $200,000 (Yikes!) (EDITED)

This seems to be a thing overseas? I've seen lots of 10mm cubes available on Aliexpress of some interesting metals. Perhaps you could pick a smaller size for the more expensive elements?

Last edited:
Reactions: rwm
Sulfur could be melted and cast (stinky stinky!) and is quite cheap. Don't know how easily this can be done, but the melting point is within range of an oven. Also on you to analyze safety.

From a purely cost based approach (don't know about suppliers of large pieces):
  • Sulfur $4.57
  • Antimony $13.06
  • Nickel $36.15
  • Cobalt $50
  • Gallium $348
  • Indium $575
  • Germanium $1942
  • Niobium $4000
  • Tantalum $11,400

Definitely add sodium and lithium. I would place these on each side of the titanium. ;)
I am curious what you are using for Iron? I have never seen pure Fe. Steel and cast iron are obviously alloys. (Oh, I see it now you have Steel. I wonder if you coudl get pure Fe?)
Robert

Definitely add sodium and lithium. I would place these on each side of the titanium. ;)
I am curious what you are using for Iron? I have never seen pure Fe. Steel and cast iron are obviously alloys. (Oh, I see it now you have Steel. I wonder if you coudl get pure Fe?)
Robert

Sodium needs an inert atmosphere to machine. Also, it has to be stored in an O2 free environment, like in an oil.

It was a joke! The Na and Li would ignite the Ti.
Robert

Could work out some faux ones for the very expensive elements like gold, silver, platinum. Just to have in the collection for comparison.

Maybe hollow out copper cases and fill with lead to the exact weight including the weight of the plating. Solder closed and finish. Then have them plated.

Could be an interesting project in itself.

Back