Vintage Lathe Identification. Prob. American.

Typically lathes of that size would use a motor either 1/2 or 3/4 hp and about 1725 RPM.

Well congrats! Sounds like you got a good deal there!
In your very first picture in this thread a couple of motors can be seen on the far left. These didn't come with it I take it?

That lathe was otherwise known as a "heavy duty Atlas,"which Clausing made. A friend had one many years ago, but it had a quick change gear box on it. It was a good,heavy lathe compared to the regular flat bed Atlas's. The only drawback was,for some reason,this lathe used the same small hole size spindle as on the regular Atlas lathes.

Thanks! I'm very exited to clean it up and make some chips. I have wanted a metal lathe since I was a kid. Now I feel like a kid again.

I have downloaded the manual for it from Vintage Machinery and found out they made a clutched and non clutched version so mine is complete after all. The clutched version was the Dual model and came with a ball bearing countershaft. Mine is the Standard clutch less model with plain bearing countershaft. There was also a quick change model with a corresponding, more elaborate, quick change apron.

The paint is in good condition but in some areas the ways and any exposed metal have some light surface rust. No pitting though.

One thing I now need is a bigger parts washer! Is it OK to wash the bits in a parts washer? I'm going to avoid using solvents on the headstock though unless someone says it's ok.

Mr Fixit, The motors were available to take but they were screwed down and I was out of time. I may go back and get them but I have a spare one in my shop. There was a huge vintage 3/4 horse motor there but huge! I do like the idea of a vintage motor for my vintage lathe though. There was no power to test them with.

Except for the small spindle,it is a good,powerful lathe. I wished I'd had that one at the time! I had a Sears Atlas 12" noodle.

Yeah, I can see the spindle size being a bit of a limitation. I am also getting a well cared for Rex-Cut Taiwanese 12X24 with a 1 + 9/16" spindle bore for those times when I need it.

First clean up.

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9827.JPG

Nice lathe, great times are ahead. Thanks for the pictures, looks like its cleaning up nice
Cheers
Martin W

DO NOT play around and engage the longitudonal and cross feeds at the same time. There is NO SAFETY interlock. The shear pin in the lead screw will shear off if you do.

Back