Vintage Lathe Identification. Prob. American.

Orange4

Registered
Registered
Can anyone tell me what make this is? I only have the pics to go by. Thanks.

Mystery-lathe1.jpg

Mystery-lathe2.jpg

Mystery-lathe3.jpg

Thanks. I think it's a 100 MkII due to the tailstock design and the timken plate. Change gears seem to be there in another pic along with the steady rest. I'm waiting to hear back about going to see it. Will have to check the leadscrew for wear.

I imagine its fantasy to think I could find the optional thread cutting gearbox for it.

Clausing-100mkII-7.jpg

Is it worth $700? I would have to commit to buying it before seeing it up close.

It looks it to me provided there's no serious breakage or wear.

I'm learning there are some people that seriously OCD over having a quick change gear box; but in reality there's nothing wrong with change gears. As hobbyists we're not really concerned about an extra 5-10 minutes in setup every 6 months or so.
At least I hope not! :)

Make sure they throw in all the accessories and tooling seen in the background. I'm seeing tool holders, face plate, steady rest, centers, etc..

Is it worth $700? I would have to commit to buying it before seeing it up close.
Yes it is worth $700, if as MrFixit suggested you get all the accessories.
Having a QCGB is unnecessary if you get the change gears.
I thought that parts for the SBLs were expensive, until i saw some Clausing parts on the Bay.
Good luck!
LK

OK. Thanks for all your advice.

Going in today pick it up. It comes with all the tools in the pics and possibly more. The house it's in is condemned and the caretakers wanted to save this from the dump. I wonder what treasures lurk under the table...

The only thing I see missing is the clutch lever.
If it's gone, I'll have to hope I can fabricate a replacement.
The mechanism does not seem overly complicated

Well, I'm the thrilled new caretaker of a Clausing mark3. Ended up paying $500. It seems to be complete except for the clutch and is in decent shape if a bit neglected. It may be a dual version. It was being used as a wood lathe before it was abandoned. Obviously, It needs a good cleaning. Have not determined if the four jaw fits.

It didn't come with a motor. What is the correct RPM and HP motor for one of these?

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9786.JPG

IMG_9791.JPG

Back