Vinegar Works !!!

Yes pool acid is both aggressive and dangerous. But it is cheap and works very quickly. I can take all the rust off a badly rusted file in about 15 minutes. For heavy rust and scale you just can't beat it.
Just be safe. Wear the proper protective equipment and remember the safety rules.

If I have surface rust on a good tool, I'll go with vinegar. Much less of a safety risk and much less damage to fine surfaces.

Randy

Nope, just as it comes, mind you with an air temp here of 33'C its warm already.
The cooking reference is just my warped sense of humour as I used to be a chef.
It was a two day soak in that thin plastic butchers tray some steaks came in.

This works great with no etching. It will however strip chrome right off. I treated a badly rusted 4 jaw chuck body and with some intermediate scrubbing with a brass brush, it came out looking almost good as new. Can't beat the price either.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.

I did this with some odds and ends off my Vernon and liked the results well enough, Im still biased towards electrolysis though as enough vinegar to do face plates and other large parts would get a bit spendy compared to a box of soda and tap water.

Incidentally, both options seem to continue working even when the liquid is fairly frozen.

I have to thaw the T slot plate out of a block of ice on my coming days off

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back