Vinegar Works !!!

ARM

Active User
Registered
Hi Guys
We tried Mr Pete 222222's suggested method of using ordinary Household White Spirit Vinegar to remove RUST, and Man, were we most pleasantly surprised.
It worked like a charm.
U only need good ol' Mr Patience to accompany Nephew Elbow Grease for a while, and Bob's your Uncle !!!
Soaked the pieces for a couple of days, then gave them a good wire brushing under running Water, and Man, the layers of years of crud just got scrubbed-off.
You can eyeball the original piece in the background of the pic.
Note the heavy gross pitting from Years of lying around and nobody wanting this hidden treasure, literally.
It was indeed a most pleasant and enjoyable experience to bring this chunk of rusted iron back to gleaming life as it required hardly or no polishing at all.
Hidden treasure no doubt. And all it required was some effort on our part.
So don't disregard that ol' crusty rusty chunk of junk.
You have the ability and the Tooling to will it into personal treasures for posterity.
Just our two cents for the day !!!
aRM2016-12-21 21.45.46.jpg

I agree. I have been using it for years. It seems that everyone else would rather pay for Evaporust. I sure can't tell the difference between the results of the two.
If I want faster results I use pool acid.

Randy

After reading so many people going on about Evaporust I tried it ...It works just ok ...and for the price I won't buy it again .
I'm going to try the Vinegar , thanks for sharing . My buddy runs a scrap yard where I get alot of alumin and steel stock , he's got another pile where people dump what looks like garage and basement cleanouts ...that pile has always got alot of
good tools , many hardly used but with light rust . Will be trying the vinegar soon !

Last edited:
I agree. I have been using it for years. It seems that everyone else would rather pay for Evaporust. I sure can't tell the difference between the results of the two.
If I want faster results I use pool acid.

Randy
Hi Randy.
Thanks for telling us about Evapo and Pool Acid. We use Pool Acid to etch our Blades and Damasteel Blades. Is it not a bit too aggressive ???
aRM

After reading so many people going on about Evaporust I tried it ...It works just ok ...and for the price I won't buy it again .
I'm going to try the Vinegar , thanks for sharing . My buddy runs a scrap yard where I get alot of amlu and steel stock , he's got another pile where people dump what looks like garage and basement cleanouts ...that pile has always got alot of
good tools , many hardly used but with light rust . Will be trying the vinegar soon !
Aye, aye, Cap'n or is it Major !!!
Only a pleasure, Sir
I even included a few Brass hinges in that lot, and surprisingly, they look like new
Yes, have seen that U Guys across the pond have tremendous access to very usable, good quality, cheap sources for Tools. Can only drool over Your Flea Market buys as well.
All the best and Stay Safe
aRM

I use vinegar for removing both rust and zinc. Yes, vinegar is slow and may take up to three days to remove zinc. On large pieces of metal, I lay vinegar soaked paper towels on the metal and then cover that with some plastic wrap. However that makes it easy to monitor, unless you forget about it for three months, its hard to over do it. The other thing is that its about as safe as you can get. The only thing that I'm not sure about is would there be a problem in making springs more brittle.

I've been using vinegar as my go to for things I can fit in a coffee can or plastic tub. I get it for $1.69 per gallon. I tried Evapo Rust. It's OK but the cost vs. speed factor is not sufficient for me.

Back