Victor milling vise opinions

Be careful with buying an Enco vise. I bought a 4" that looked just the picture - Kurt Clone angle-lock.
What I got was neither angle-lock nor Kurt clone, but a cheap, Indian vise. They took it back, and said they had no 4" Kurt clones under $200
I ended up with a 5" real Kurt, used from reliable tools, for $180 shipped.
Cleaned up and painted, it looks and works like new.

I ended up with a 5" real Kurt, used from reliable tools, for $180 shipped.
Cleaned up and painted, it looks and works like new.

I've seen their listings before. Are they good to work with?

I've seen their listings before. Are they good to work with?

I bid, I won, I paid, they shipped, product matched description and picture.

That's my complete data sample.

I guess it was kind of a silly question. You did say it works like new; that's really all I needed to know.

I don't know about me sometimes.

There is a long discussion in another forum about Reliable. Some positive comments,many negative. Stuff like they didn't send the pictured item,or they chose picture angles that hid rust and damage,and a bunch of other complaints. If you got lucky,good. I don't think I want to deal with them. I had to send back a Peacock dial caliper to Enco. I have a beautiful Peacock dial caliper,but they must have been bought out. The Enco one was worse than a $14.00 one. However,I had no problem returning it. Apparently sending stuff back to Reliable is a gamble. One thing(among several) they can do to you,is ban you from future bidding,even when they are clearly in the wrong.

I agree Reliable is a crapshoot, I knew they had a spotty rep before I clicked the Buy button. In my case I got lucky, or maybe I was one of the vast majority who got what was advertised at a good price. At any rate I got what was advertised, no hidden flaws, adequately (barely) boxed. They were a little slow to ship, apparently they only ship on the 2nd Tuesday after a new moon, or something like that. 5" Kurts are scarce, and are higher than the 4" model, but it is the perfect size for my 8x36 table. I got a nice Kurt for the price of a clone. Cleaned up and painted (Kurt blue) it looks and works very well.

OTOH I have bought from Enco for years and never been unhappy. But my experience with that vise was disappointing. The site clearly showed a Kurt clone, the price was good ($110 IIRC) but not fantastic. What I got was a $50 vise that looked nothing like the photo, and was definitely not an angle-lock design. When I called them to tell them I got the wrong vise, they just said "The product may not look like the photos". So why then show a photo at all? Why would you buy something on the internet if you cannot trust the photo one the web page? I had them go look at other products, and they had no 4" Kurt clone under $200. So I sent it back, and they paid the freight.
The 4" Kurt clone vise is probably the most popular milling vise in their market, and they had nothing competitive? I just found that hard to believe.

Enco is still my first choice, and I have a Hot Deals catalog on my desk marked up for an order to be placed this week.

Totally agree: There should be an accurate picture above all else!! But,as said,you can get the same unreliable picture from "Reliable."!!

A few years ago I needed a vise for my X2 minimill. LMS had their 3" on sale, which looks just like the Victor vise in the original post.
I got it, mounted it, trammed it, and used it for several months. But it never really felt right when I locked something down.

So I took it apart, and found the area where the half-ball sits on the lower casting angle was roughly cast and did not offer a smooth seat. Had to mill that section back about 3/16 or so to get a good surface.
So be sure to take yours apart if you get it and make sure all is as it should in there.

I have a 5" Bridgeport I bought used from Plaza Machinery. It's OK but was a bit too big for my mill drill (I think I was told that would be the case but I bought it anyway.) It had a little lift but is pretty solid. I would recommend it if you can find one used and cheap.

Then I bought the Grizzly 4" milling vise because I made the mistake of taking some medication while surfing the internet. Didn't need it, but I was certain at the time that I did, so I bought it. I like mine. Still got a bit of lift, but it's more than adequate for my needs. I'd recommend it too.

Two weeks ago at a local auction I got a box of three of those inexpensive drill press vises and one (Palmgren, maybe) tilting vise. Paid $12 for the lot, which is about $11 more than any of them turned out to be worth. I have seen a few hints online about taking off the flimsy piece of metal in that holds the moving jaw down and replacing it with a more solid hunk of metal. That might make it usable for very light milling and if you can find them for sale at $2-5 it would be worth the experiment.

And then my just bought mill came with that 6" no-name that has no lift whatsoever, and is nicely clamped and aligned to the table so all the others just sit there on the shelf laughing at me every time I go into the workshop.

Joe

Back