Victor milling vise opinions

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
I need an inexpensive vise for workholding in my mill / drill. I'm not building a reactor or a spaceship, so I don't need the most expensive thing around but at the same time I don't want to buy junk that will have to be replaced in a few months either.

Any one here have one of these that can offer an objective opinion.

212.jpg

Part # VS-LTV6 (
http://www.victornet.com/alphabetic/Milling-Machine-Vises/157.html)
$129

If not, can anyone suggest a comparable alternative?

212.jpg

It is always a gamble buying asian or Indian vises,or other things. I bought Taiwan 6" Kurt clones in 1980's,and they were o.k.,but things have gone downhill since mainland China got into the act. Indian stuff can be worse.Returning that vise will cost shipping money,too. They are heavy. Even if guaranteed,you'll be responsible for returns.

I only ever bought ENCO vises before I got a real Kurt,so no experience with the Victor offerings. I HAVE been there several times,and saw some pretty crude vises there,though,not the model you are showing,though.

Is there a Northern or a HF near you,where you could just drive to return a vise? You need to go over it with a dial indicator when mounted,to see if the bed is parallel. Also TAKE NOTICE if the FIXED jaw bends back under pressure. See if the vise works smoothly,or if the works have casting sand in them. Some imports are VERY CRUDE inside,and have to be taken apart,cleaned,refined a bit before use.

P.S.: I see you are in N.News. There's a HF in Hampton,and a Northern,too. Go there and look at their vises,try cranking the jaws and see how smooth they feel. At least you can do that in their stores. I think Northern sells that type vise,but haven't been there for a few years. Don't recall seeing them at HF,but I have not been in the market for one,so didn't look carefully for one.

I will say that I have found there swivel base for my Taiwan vises were too thin,and could actually see them lift and flex during cuts in my vertical mill,which is not a real powerful machine. I always look for THICK bases for any vise I buy. That means 3/4" thick around the edges. The center portion is thicker,naturally, it's the edges than can lift up.

Neither HF or Northern has milling vices on the shelf, only bench vises.

I would prefer one I could check first, but havn't found one locally yet. That's the main reason I was looking for feedback from someone who has one and first hand experience.

I did pick up a huge milling vise locally and it's mounted in my horizontal. The price was good, there was no shipping and I could go over it before I took it. Unfortunately, it's too big for my smaller machine.

India CAN make good castings when paid enough. An old English engineer told me that several English machinery makers got their heavy castings made in India,and that was years ago.

That said,they aren't getting much for their vises,so they are rough and cheap. Same deal in China. They just don't get the money to make good stuff,but they can make good rockets,which is not the easiest thing to do.

of course they did bill i just bought it all on ebay 2 weeks ago for a lot more:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
steve

Buy the ENCO. FREE shipping code for Sept. is SEPUPS. I just saved a bundle by getting free shipping on a heavy brass bar last month. Another source wanted $30.00 to ship a bar 1/3 as long.

If you can get free shipping at least ONE WAY,you'll be ahead if you have to return it. My Enco vises were fine,but as said,they were bought in the 80's and were Taiwanese. A Kurt came along last year locally pretty cheap is the main reason I have a Kurt now. $250.00 for a very nearly new 6" Kurt. Had to buy the swivel base separate,but got a real thick one by luck. MSC for some reason they didn't know,had a pallet full of them and better than Chinese. Probably Japanese. Only a very small alteration on the center pin diameter was needed. And blue spray.

I have a couple of 4" Chinese vises that look like your picture. They do a reasonable job for me. Keep in mind that you will always get some amount of lift from that style of vise when you tighten it. We just learn nhow to deal with it. Get a good dead-blow hammer when you get the vise.

I did do some milling on the bottom surfaces of the second vise when I got it, mainly so both vises would be the same height when used to hold longer work.

Thanks for all the input. The small one I have on my mill just doesn't have enough clamping force and has considerable lift when tightened. Any of the ones suggested would probably be a vast improvement.

Back