Victor 1340GHE, New to Me

Today I tackled the coolant tank again. An improved catchment system was set up. I removed the coolant pump for better access to the inside of the tank. My wife was about to toss an Oxi-Clean tub and scoop into the trash. The little rectangular scoop looked like the perfect size and shape for cleaning the tank and it turned out to be perfect. It got down into the corners and was small enough to get through the pump opening without losing the contents.

Over two gallons of various versions of water and oil were recovered. After breaking up the compacted chips/oil/sludge contained behind a baffle almost a half gallon container of that mix was removed. Mineral spirits and a plastic putty knife helped get the last bits out, along with an entire roll of paper towels. The tank was so clean that I vacuumed out the last chips.

The follow-up plan is to plug the coolant drain in the chip tray and not use the coolant system. I have almost a full gallon of undiluted Kool Mist. That will last a while.

Back