VFD seems too good to be true

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't know much about electronics or motors, so I assume that I am misunderstanding what this product does. https://www.amazon.com/Huanyang-Variable-Frequenc-Controller-Inverter/dp/B07GD628D7

I am interpreting this description to say that it takes standard household 1 phase 110v input, and puts out 3 phase 220v output. The description does not specify the output amperage, but the seller says in the Q & A section that it is 20 Amps.

That seems too good to be true, so I assume I'm just misunderstanding? I mean, if that's right, I'll be placing an order for a 3-phase Precision Matthews Lathe and Mill tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, that is exactly how it works...... 1ph 110v in 3ph 220v out...... or 3ph 220 in 3ph 480 out.... VFDs are like magic.....

It does state that it's a "rising voltage" model, so I assume it has a transformer or buck internally to bump the internal rails up enough for 220v output. If you want a three phase tool but only have a 110v supply in your shop (I'm assuming), this seems like a good option. Nice thing about the VFD here is soft start, which means you won't get crazy current demands the moment the motor starts.

You would have double the energy available if you could input a VFD with 220 volt power. It is a severe
limitation if you use 110 power. If in the future you want more power, you won't have that option if using
110V.

This is the first VFD I've seen going up to 3 Hp on 110... 1 Hp. units are common and proven.

1 Hp. yep, go 110, myself I would not be the first to try this. I suppose if there is NO WAY you can find a 220 source, maybe. Don't be surprised when issues pop up.

I dont believe I have ever seen a 110V single phase VFD rated for 3 HP.
There rated to 1 HP generally and dont even do that well.
If you dont have 220 V where you are going to put the machine rethink your strategy

A standard 3 Hp 220/240V input VFD specifies a 30A breaker, so at 110/120V you are looking at 50-60A breaker. VFD's can put out up to 180-200% of their rated output for up to 1 minute, and the current draw is in pulses so the spikes/peaks are extremely high in single phase. This would also be worse at 120VAC and I would want to see the electrical noise that one would be generating. So I would not expect that you can run this off of a 20A 120VAC plug. Hp is Hp, their is a reason why the largest 120V motors that can plug into a 20A socket is around 1.5Hp. I have also indicated in other postings that a 20A breaker/circuit cannot deliver 20A continuously, they are only designed to provide 80% amperage continuously so puts you at 16A. No free lunch on this one.

Back