VFD problems.

You may be correct.....It was an Amazon purchase....I have 30 days to return it....Just in case.....Any recommendations on a better quality VFD? Hopefully one available on Amazon.

Not from me. All the ones I've used have the same "instruction set" as the one you shared.

My experience with VFDs is that the name brands, Teco, Hitatchi etc are much better quality than the imports on Amazon etc.
I've had two Tecos and they were flawless and never skipped a beat. Easy to program and kept the stored parameters.
I have an import on my CNC router and it's a complete pain in the behind. Randomly it will lose some or all of the programming which shows up as it not working or worse, doing something bizarre during a job often ruining the work and or tooling.
I have a 2hp Amazon VFD that I bought for $50 a few years back and I'm hesitant to press it into service on my lathe.

Your mill deserves a better VFD. Assuming you have a 3Hp motor and you are directly connecting the VFD to your motor, I would recommend getting the Automation Direct GS21-23P0. It runs around $250, I can help you set the parameters for it. I have done a few installs with these, they are more full featured than the Teco L510-203-H1-N but either one works well. On the mill you have 2 options as to run commands one is 2 wire control which requires a sustained command so a 3 way switch FOR-STOP-REV, or 3 wire control which uses momentary buttons STOP (NC), RUN (NO) and a forward/reverse sustained switch (NO). On the mill I generally recommend 3 wire control, and one can also mount the switches on a pod attached to the knee or on a stalk. Pod usually is STOP, RUN, FOR/REV, Speed Pot, and if desired an E-Stop. You need some basic wiring skills but it is pretty easy to setup. VFD needs to be mounted where chips and contamination will not get into it.

The error message may be telling you that the output stage is already damaged- maybe not, but I would return it while you can
and get a better unit like Mark suggests
Teco units have a good track record

Just a heads up on Chinese VFD's. It's a guessing game.
I have programmed and wired in several Vevor 7.5kw units for other people, and as my lathe motor is popping it's breaker randomly I felt it was time to go 3 phase. So I ordered one of these units. The mistake was to order direct from Vevor instead of Amazon. I should add I have no motor yet. When it arrived I wanted to go through the programming and check to see that it worked. I changed it to 60 cycles and set the braking and acceleration, and then shut it off. I waited 5 minutes for the caps to drain, and plugged it back in. All the parameters I had changed were there. Great. I pushed the run button, and flame and sparks blew out the side, and now the Ov-r message is displayed. I contacted Vevor and they claim I froze it, and offered me $76 as an apology. I told them this was an insult, not an apology. They are going to offer me $151 now, or to replace the vfd. If I had ordered from Amazon, I could return it without all the BS and requirement to make a video for them..

They are reluctant to stand behind their product, but can be shamed into it. One other thing I noted, although they claim their vfd has all this protection from overload, over voltage, Blah, Blah, there is no max amp setting that I have ever seen.

Managed to get my money refunded from Amazon....I am not keen on Jeff Bezos....but the customer service is very good. I will be carefully looking at all the great feedback I got on this thread and trying to decide what to buy.

View attachment 474506

I think thats the ramp up speed setting btw.

Stu
I guess that standard setting is 25HZ per second???.....So if I wanted the rising velocity to go up faster, I would change to 50 HZ/S ?

I bet there are books written on the VFD things. Don't suppose anyone can suggest a good article on the subject?

Just a heads up on Chinese VFD's. It's a guessing game.
I have programmed and wired in several Vevor 7.5kw units for other people, and as my lathe motor is popping it's breaker randomly I felt it was time to go 3 phase. So I ordered one of these units. The mistake was to order direct from Vevor instead of Amazon. I should add I have no motor yet. When it arrived I wanted to go through the programming and check to see that it worked. I changed it to 60 cycles and set the braking and acceleration, and then shut it off. I waited 5 minutes for the caps to drain, and plugged it back in. All the parameters I had changed were there. Great. I pushed the run button, and flame and sparks blew out the side, and now the Ov-r message is displayed. I contacted Vevor and they claim I froze it, and offered me $76 as an apology. I told them this was an insult, not an apology. They are going to offer me $151 now, or to replace the vfd. If I had ordered from Amazon, I could return it without all the BS and requirement to make a video for them..

They are reluctant to stand behind their product, but can be shamed into it. One other thing I noted, although they claim their vfd has all this protection from overload, over voltage, Blah, Blah, there is no max amp setting that I have ever seen.
Wow guess I got lucky on the 2 HP Arboga I bought the 5 HP Vevor-looks identical/ same instructions to the Op's and have it wired through the 2 speed switch and the machines on / off. Silky smooth so far, Time will tell.
I Only switch the 2 motor speeds windings while the motor is at rest but VFD on and then use the display controls. Again Time will tell, hoping it won't let out the smoke .

Back