Vevor Folding Work Table

I used to have a couple of Workmates, they were great when I was starting out but they didn't seem to hold their usefulness into the pro woodworking environment.
Yeah, I realize these temporary work stands can't compete with a good stationary work bench and vise and need to be used accordingly. They are what they are, but have their place. Just trying to decide if this table is better than the typical Workmate.

Just trying to decide if this table is better than the typical Workmate.
Yeah, I’d bet not. It just has that toy aura about it. Too many telescoping parts and hinges with too small of a top. All those things scream floppy junk but I think you aught to buy it Randy and give us a test run :)
Long time Workmate user here. I have a half dozen of them all of which I picked up used (except for the very first one which was aa birthday gift 30+ years ago from my parents). I need to make some new tops for a few of them someday.

For my uses I can't see the Vevor table coming close to replacing a Workmate. It doesn't look nearly as sturdy or as capable.
I’m in agreement. I‘ve also wanted to replace the top on mine but the crappy top just keeps hanging in there and I so seldom use my workmate I never get to it. My main complaint with the workmate is it’s too short. And that’s saying something from a guy who’s only 5’6”.

Yeah, I’d bet not. It just has that toy aura about it. Too many telescoping parts and hinges with too small of a top. All those things scream floppy junk but I think you aught to buy it Randy and give us a test run :)

I’m in agreement. I‘ve also wanted to replace the top on mine but the crappy top just keeps hanging in there and I so seldom use my workmate I never get to it. My main complaint with theIworkmate is it’s too short. And that’s saying something from a guy who’s only 5’6”.

I use one of mine all the time in the garage. I have a piece of plywood with a 2x4 attached in the middle, I clamp it in and it serves as my spare table. I have 3 now at home... I gave my son some of mine. I pick them up from garage sale when they are priced right.
My favorite is the single level type. It's ready to go when you tilt the table. Much faster than the multi level unit. It's lighter and higher .

When welding I put my 18x18 surface plate on it and can weld easily. Or I just leave the ply top on. I had to refinish a bunch of outdoor lighting for a customer... I was able to clamp a 2x4 x 8' on end , drill holes to hold them all vertically, and paint them all at once.

As far as the vevor being floppy junk, I didn't think so in looking at the pics. Seems they might be pretty well locked in. I just watched the video and it seems like the leg locks offer a good lock. Also it appears that the aluminum edging might be below the top surface..

Is it worth the price??? I can't say. It's worth picking up and testing it out... if you don't like it, return it.

Yeah, I realize these temporary work stands can't compete with a good stationary work bench and vise and need to be used accordingly. They are what they are, but have their place. Just trying to decide if this table is better than the typical Workmate.
I hear ya, I don't have any experience with the Vevor item but judging from the picture, I'd say the Workmate would be more useful, sturdier. But my reference are Workmates from 30-40 years ago, not sure how they are made now...

My Dad has had a Workmate forever. I've never really used one, kind of curious but always got by with real or ad hoc saw horses. I can see the usefulness of the larger Workmate, and this thread got me kind of curious and seeing there are several flavors of WM I was trying to find them all to see the different options.

I have discovered Black & Decker has an absolutely awful, and mostly useless website.

We were out doing a field repair and the only work surface they had was a workmate. By the time we were done I was totally sold and found one in a swap meet for $15. It was my main workstation until I came up with the ones I have now so it’s basically sitting in the shed now. The most used outboards to my workstations is my two jawstands. One is the old type and the other is the newer one with a height crank. Love them. Mine is 10yrs old now and the best stand on the market IMHO.
1706467456430.jpeg

I use the GripMate clamps with my WorkMates a lot. Unfortunately Black and Decker stopped making them many years ago. If you pick up a used set of the GripMate clamps make sure they have the orange plastic collar, they are worthless with out it and it is often missing.

1_8559d3db9a4558e8a470ad180fc3ec49.jpg

I have several generations of workmates and there were some changes over the years. The older ones like pictured above used good plywood for the tops. The newer ones use particle board which is a definite downgrade. The locks on the legs went from metal to plastic but I haven't had any problems with the plastic leg locks.

For anyone that has an old workmate with broken plastic parts here is a great deal on plastic parts to freshen up an old bench:

Last edited:
I use the GripMate clamps with my WorkMates a lot. Unfortunately Black and Decker stopped making them many years ago. If you pick up a used set of the GripMate clamps make sure they have the orange plastic collar, they are worthless with out it and it is often missing.

View attachment 476038

I have several generations of workmates and there were some changes over the years. The older ones like pictured above used good plywood for the tops. The newer ones use particle board which is a definite downgrade. The locks on the legs went from metal to plastic but I haven't had any problems with the plastic leg locks.

For anyone that has an old workmate with broken plastic parts here is a great deal on plastic parts to freshen up an old bench:
thats more than I paid for any of my garage sale units.

The most used outboards to my workstations is my two jawstands.
Oh, yeah! I'm on the same wavelength -- I have the older jaw stand and use that thing a lot. I have a mark on the column so I can set it up to be the same height as the bed of my horizontal bandsaw. I also have the 2x4 bolted to the bottom of a (roughly) two by two foot wood plank work surface. Makes a handy ad-hoc table when I need it. I also use it for a million other tasks although mostly out in the yard.

-MK

Back