Vertical Position Indicator-Surface Grinder

I use a similar setup on my Sanford grinder. I was having an awful time hitting spec for height until I realized somewhere along the line someone had changed the vertical gear ratio from 3:1 to 4:1. If I remember correctly the head was only moving down .00081" per .001 graduation. Now I don't even pay attention to the dial. I just use the indicator.
I've never verified movement to dial calibration. Good idea though.

B&S Advertised it to help out with touching off, literally remembering where the approximate height is, rather than guessing at it or sneaking up on it and maybe hitting it a bit too hard. It is not for purposes of accurate setting, although it could function in that capacity as well, My Micromaster has the fine feeding attachment on the down feed, and the tenth graduations are quite widely spaced; feed down one tenth, and you can see the difference in sparks, it is quite sensitive, unlike the #2 grinders that I have previously had.

Mine has the same fine feed adjustments John. Yes there is about 5/16” between the .0002” adjustment On the knob as I remember.
Using the indicator as a touch off indicator would be very helpful!
I Hadn’t thought of it’s use that way.
I’ve been using a .002” feeler gauge.

Excellent thread Jeff, I never stop learning here!

Here's my setup for a tenth's indicator mount on my B&S SG.

Ted

Here's my setup for a tenth's indicator mount on my B&S SG.

Ted
That looks great Ted.
I see we had this discussion back in 2018. I'm glad to see John (benmychree) chimed in.

Back