Vertical Position Indicator-Surface Grinder

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Those of you with a surface grinder, like me, may be challenged with mounting a dial or test indicator to keep track of the travel of the wheel..
I found this picture of a genuine Brown and Sharpe vertical position indicator, in my B&S 618 Micromaster user manual.
The aluminum covers and rounded head design don't provide for a good spot to mount a tool holder.
Please see the pic, lower left on the page. I think I'll put it on my to-do list.

Attachments

• 20210524133046.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 87
@Janderso

I'm not familiar with your SG. Doesn't the vertical adjustment handwheel have a graduated dial?

Or is the DI for double check?

@Janderso

I'm not familiar with your SG. Doesn't the vertical adjustment handwheel have a graduated dial?

Or is the DI for double check?
It does, but when you are dialing in .0002" or .002 increments, it's easy to get lost.
With a dial or test indicator if you are going to take multiple passes to get to your dimension, it would be easier to set zero and move to your designated depth.
In my mind anyway

I always used the paper method of touching off Jeff . I'm not sure if this is needed , but it IS another project for the shop . :encourage:

I use a similar setup on my Sanford grinder. I was having an awful time hitting spec for height until I realized somewhere along the line someone had changed the vertical gear ratio from 3:1 to 4:1. If I remember correctly the head was only moving down .00081" per .001 graduation. Now I don't even pay attention to the dial. I just use the indicator.

Making something like that has been on my "to do" list for awhile.

My B&S #2 has a pretty large dial, graduated in half thousandths. I have not used it enough yet to see this as a limit, but maybe I will get there. Seems like it would have to be a 0.0001 indicator to be useful, right? And that would limit the range a lot. But, it’s a good project, so I’m in. Thanks, @Janderso

Back